Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiders and Wellies

Spiders and Wellies

Sunday evening a mate and I were going lamping fox. He was coming to my house and then we were going to a couple of local farms. On arrival at my house he left his wellies outside the kitchen door before he came in. He was only in the house for about 5 minutes during which time my Mrs had spotted his wellies and decided to put some kitchen roll into them so he would think something had crawled in there when he went to put them back on. (Brave woman going anywhere near the inside of his wellies).
    As we went to leave I saw a spider on the kitchen ceiling. Not the biggest I have ever seen but as my wife hates them I reached up get hold of it and put it outside. I did not get a hold of it and it fell to the floor. I made a grab for it and as I picked it up I felt a shooting pain going up my finger. Bitten by a spider!!!! I let out a yell just as my mate was putting on his wellies. He realised I had been bitten and on his foot feeling something inside his wellie he immediately started screaming like a wee school girl. (yes you did and that's why I'm not naming you). Meanwhile the Mrs was in stitches at the antics.
    I have captured and put out lots of spiders but until Sunday I never knew that some actually bite. Googled it to find that there are reports of several British spiders biting. The tip of my finger is still tingling and a bit itchy.
    Anybody else been bitten?

haha serves you right.........i bloddy hate spiders. im 6'6 and about 18 stone and ill run away like linford christie if i see one

I was given a spider catcher last Christmas, before that is was a glass and piece of card to catch them.

Amazing creatures but they scare the bejesus out of me too.....

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

I was bitten on the back of the hand a few years ago by a spider that was inside a gardening glove. Saw the culprit when I pulled my hand out - small and stocky, unlike your average leggy house spider. It felt like a sharp sting when it happened but the back of my hand swelled up until the skin was tight and rock hard. Looked like half a cricket ball stuk on the back of my hand! I went to the pharmacist and thay gave me a steroid cream (HC45) which sorted it out. Like you, I was surprised by this until I hit Google and found it out it is not that unheard of!

Do you know what species it was?

We get a lot of the woodlouse eating spiders around here which are one of the species capable of biting (designed to crunch through woodlice shells). I've handled them plenty, even been crapped on by one but never been bitten though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 006.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	10288

Thats the same species I've been bitten by with a similar reaction to andyf
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Personally I normally catch them in my hand if in the house, then place outside.

Creepy Crawlies don't bother me, can't recall ever being bitten by one. Touch wood !

Been stung a few times with Bar'steward Wasps mind you !!

Atb, Buck.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

As far as I am aware all spiders can bite! And most use some form of toxin (think that is the right term) to incapacitate their victims.

I think one of the worst bites I have had is from ants to be honest!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    As far as I am aware all spiders can bite!
    They can all bite but most species are unable to pierce human skin.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Do you know what species it was?

We get a lot of the woodlouse eating spiders around here which are one of the species capable of biting (designed to crunch through woodlice shells). I've handled them plenty, even been crapped on by one but never been bitten though...
    You are a brave guy, i wouldn't pick up one of those without using my rifle first!
    Hate those type, cope with most of the others in Devon but not those.
    Cheers
    Richard