Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we getting ripped off in the UK ?

Are we getting ripped off in the UK ?

It's a common question, and I suspect most of us feel aggrieved at how manufacturers/distributors seem to take advantage of us here, seemingly more than they do in other countries ?

Well, I've just been given a variation to add some more rifles to my growing collection, and after seeing the results a friend was getting from his Savage 22-250, and seeing the US pricing, decided the 12 LRPV Left Port, was a good option, and a little different to the norm.

Until I started looking into the UK pricing, and was truly shocked !

The rifle has a US retail of $1315.00 (circa 850.00) and based on experience expected to see a UK retail of somewhere near 1500.00. However, Edgar Brothers, the new UK distributor, have just set the UK retail at 2197.00, some 2 1/2 times that of the US ! and I have discovered that even the UK "trade" price, is massively over the equivalent US retail.

I do understand about the cost of shipping, duty, vat, proofing, etc', but this is just plain greed.

On top of that, they're quoting 3 months for delivery !

So, I'm now looking for an alternative, or for a good used rifle, but I certainly won't be contributing my hard earned to another company who think we'll just pay up, regardless !

Or, am I missing something ???

Mark.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post

Mark.
    Mark

I agree that we pay over the odds, but compare these stats:

In the UK gun ownership was 6.2 guns per 100 residents in 2007
    In the US gun ownership was 88.8 guns per 100 residents in 2007

In the UK it's estimated that there are just over 4 million guns in private ownership
    In the US in 2010 the FBI processed 14.4 million background checks, primarily related to gun purchases

It's not difficult to see how both "economies of scale" and "supply and demand" will have an effect on something like this.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

It's a common question, and I suspect most of us feel aggrieved at how manufacturers/distributors seem to take advantage of us here, seemingly more than they do in other countries ?

Well, I've just been given a variation to add some more rifles to my growing collection, and after seeing the results a friend was getting from his Savage 22-250, and seeing the US pricing, decided the 12 LRPV Left Port, was a good option, and a little different to the norm.

Until I started looking into the UK pricing, and was truly shocked !

The rifle has a US retail of $1315.00 (circa 850.00) and based on experience expected to see a UK retail of somewhere near 1500.00. However, Edgar Brothers, the new UK distributor, have just set the UK retail at 2197.00, some 2 1/2 times that of the US ! and I have discovered that even the UK "trade" price, is massively over the equivalent US retail.

I do understand about the cost of shipping, duty, vat, proofing, etc', but this is just plain greed.

On top of that, they're quoting 3 months for delivery !

So, I'm now looking for an alternative, or for a good used rifle, but I certainly won't be contributing my hard earned to another company who think we'll just pay up, regardless !

Mark.
    Try emailing the manufacturers with the details that you have given and ask if there is anything that they can do to assist, they may not wish to lose UK sales. Certainly if no one says anything about this sort of thing the practice will continue

there no doubt,we pay,,had frenchies in lately and they had a heap of grand scottish malt whiskeys...all of which i sampled,that aside they payed nearly 15 pounds less per bottle!!! in france than what we pay here in,BLOODY SCOTLAND,what the fek!!!
    Last edited by BIG white hunter; 08-11-2011 at 17:52.

The problem seems to be Europe-wide. I think it's even more annoying when it's firearms that are manufactured in Europe and cost twice as much here as they do in the US.

Yes we are paying to much, way to much

ripped off

A few years ago i was sponsered by a fishing tackle shop for match fishing, Now and again i would help out in the shop and soon came to learn that the markup on tackle was 100 percent. So nothing new i fear
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

In just about every conceivable way a resounding YES!

Guess where it's cheapest to buy an English made Triumph motorcycle, here or in the USA? The good old US of A of course.

Europe sells our whisky and gin so much cheaper than we the producing country can buy it at.

My council tax in the UK is about 120.00 per month.

My council tax in Italy is about 120.00 per year!

Guess where I plan to spend my future????? The knock on effect is I shall be spending my money in another country so boosting their economy, and not ours. Very sad state of affairs.

Last edited by buckup; 08-11-2011 at 18:18.

Yes we are however i don't believe it's the local gun shop making the biggest chunk of cash out of us " i think it's the importers !

Only the fact that you can get a flight to the USA, buy the rifle, come back, pay VAT and duty, and still end up spending about half of what Edgar Brothers want.

It's perfectly feasible to go the USA, buy a rifle and import it on your UK FAC. Save yourself a bit of cash, get the rifle you want and have a short holiday into the bargain.