Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7WSM vs. 7RM

7WSM vs. 7RM

Well, dark nights and bad weather coupled with 'shipwrecked' on tv have me running for the proverbial hills.. or more to the point, reading about calibres.

Im a 7mm convert with the 7-08 but really interested in the 7WSM. Does anyone shoot one? what are they like in comparison to a 7RM or similar? Recoil? Accuracy?

Looking in the reloading book, looks like you get more bang for your grain of powder with the 7WSM than you do with the 7RM. Also i imagine that having a shorter and fatter powder column with a steeper shoulder should make the 7WSM better in every way than the 7RM?

I like the potency of the 7RM for carrying energy long range (for targets) but also the knock down power..

So thoughts on a postcard...?

In a factory rifle the WSM will be built on a short action, you will lose case capacity when using the 160+ grain bullets that work best in these Calibers, in order to allow proper magazine function. A 7mm RM will be built on a long magnum action and you will have more mag length to get long bullets near the lands, you will get better performance.

The WSM can do what the RM does but not at equal pressures, the WSM will wear its throat out quicker, thereby compounding the OAL problem. The RM is a very accurate and proven round, and if you intend to use factory ammo then good luck finding somewhere with a regular stock of WSM ammo, whereas RM ammo should never be too far away.

So in conclusion if your are buying a factory rifle stick with the RM. if you are going custom then look at building a WSM on a long magnum action, then things are more or less equal. Personally I would still go with the RM even if going custom.

If you aren't planning on shooting heavier bullets, then don't bother with either just buy a .270
    Last edited by danpd; 08-11-2011 at 23:11.

Ok if you don't really require the magnum velocities but need/want more than the 7-08 then may I suggest you look at the old 7x64 or the 280 Rem. Both will more barrel friendly than the magnums.

+1 to that. The 7-08 is a fine cartridge and the 280 is the next step up. ~Muir

Oh, and just to add one more point. With the 7mm WSM you have only one choice in brass which is Winchester. The supply is not that plentiful, so most people neck down 300 WSM Norma brass and then fireform. This may cause issues if you travel as your brass will not be of the correct head stamp for the cartridge on your licence, and most foreign airport staff aren't that knowledgeable on the finer points of reloading!

Thanks for the info guys, all very interesting. The 7-08 is great and i really like it, interesting what you say about action lengths as well. I was reading on 6mmbr about the 7WSM and vince bottomley who has built one for 1000yd BR. He went for a 7-.300 WSM opposed to the SAAMI 7WSM. He shot some tiny group at 1000yds, think it was 2.67'' or the likes.

Im looking for a rifle which i can use on reds etc but also use for long range target work. The 7-08 fills this requirement pretty well and i wouldnt get rid of it for the world, just looking for an bigger brother for it!

I would be reloading for it. Does anyone know much about recoil/noise etc between the 7WSM and the 7RM? Also, if you go for a custom action, i suppose there must be half way houses regarding actions so a full L/A mag action isnt a necessity?

I have a Howa in 7WSM, bought new 5 years ago and absolutely love it!. Much more accurate than me; good trigger after 5 mins. work and light. I find the recoil very much less than the Rem. Mag., which is sharp!. I agree that factory ammo is hard to find, but Rem. Mag. is hard to pay for!!.
    I use 140grain SP and plastic tip and shoot roe and red at long distances (for me). I've recently added a Third Eye mod, and the recoil and noise is now very much reduced. There is still quite a muzzle flash, though, as I do stoke it up with a healthy (!) charge of N560. Never yet had to scrap a case, or 'trim' one for that matter. I have yet to come across a real down side to the rifle/cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, all very interesting. The 7-08 is great and i really like it, interesting what you say about action lengths as well. I was reading on 6mmbr about the 7WSM and vince bottomley who has built one for 1000yd BR. He went for a 7-.300 WSM opposed to the SAAMI 7WSM. He shot some tiny group at 1000yds, think it was 2.67'' or the likes.

Im looking for a rifle which i can use on reds etc but also use for long range target work. The 7-08 fills this requirement pretty well and i wouldnt get rid of it for the world, just looking for an bigger brother for it!

I would be reloading for it. Does anyone know much about recoil/noise etc between the 7WSM and the 7RM? Also, if you go for a custom action, i suppose there must be half way houses regarding actions so a full L/A mag action isnt a necessity?
    Yes Vince did shoot an amazingly small group at 1000 yds, but that was in a dedicated LR competition rifle. As you say you want to use the rifle on reds and target work, then issues like reliable mag feeding come into play, you could build a WSM on a short action but the mag length will restrict the performace of the cartridge wit hheavier bullets, and you will not see much gain over your 7mm-08.

A magnum cartridge is a magnum cartridge, they all have some degree of bark upon firing, but other factors such as bullet weight, rifle weight, and stock design have a major factor in perceived recoil.

Regards actions, most dedicated WSM actions are just short actions with magnum boltfaces, the Surgeon 591 WSM goes slightly further by having a lengthened loading port and extended bolt stop travel, The Stiller predator has these features as standard, but you will still run into the afformentioned issues with either of these actions, unless you go single shot. A long action with magnum boltface is a better option as you only gain less than an inch in length and 3oz in weight, but you are no longer restricted on your OAL and you can let the cartridge perform to its maximum potential.

my 7RM was a pussy cat to shoot. More of a shove than the sharp recoil of say a 243. In fact i found it nicer to shoot than the synthetic sako 75 I had in 243!!!!DONT shoot one without a mod though if you like hearing!!!

Still waiting for signs of stretching in my Howa 7mm WSM!............ Reds don't like it!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!