Thread: 243 Horandy 75gr HP

243 Horandy 75gr HP

It looks as if my Tikka likes Factory Horandy 75gr hollow points. Does any one use them on deer and what do they find the expansion like? If they are not suitable can anyone recomend me an alternative. It doesn't like Winchester 100gr or Privi 90's so I'm guessing that with a 1:10 twist I should be looking for 80gr ish. I'm not into hand loading yet.

Thanks

Jim

Jim

Firstly, it's Hornady as in Joyce Hornady. Secondly, there's a bit of info on the Hornady site:

http://www.hornady.com/store/6mm-.243-75-gr-HP/

I suspect you could happily shoot roe deer with these bullets, but personally I wouldn't. I suggest you pick a round that will take care of any deer you meet, large or small. I like the Sako 100gr and currently have a part used box of Remington 100gr Core-Lokt for my .243.

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    It looks as if my Tikka likes Factory Horandy 75gr hollow points. Does any one use them on deer and what do they find the expansion like? If they are not suitable can anyone recomend me an alternative. It doesn't like Winchester 100gr or Privi 90's so I'm guessing that with a 1:10 twist I should be looking for 80gr ish. I'm not into hand loading yet.

Thanks

Jim
    Whilst 75/80 grainers are more suited to the one-in-ten twist my Tikka T3 Hunter shot well with the 100gr cheap Privi ammo which I won at a stalkers shoot.
    The rifle had a 12 o`clock zero with my 75gr V.Max. re-loads.
    If your HP bullet is a V.Max it is not designed for deer-type targets as expansion would be premature causing severe surface damage with little penetration.
    With my re-load and those Privi factory bullets I had the opportunity to shoot a crow or a roe by a swift bullet change-over.
    HWH.

Thanks for the replys. That has given me a bit more to go on. I've aslo had half an hour with the search facility which has brought up a few more. The reason for asking was that I had my first fox with it the other night and was surprised at the small exit wound. My .222 with 50gr softpoints used to make a bigger one.

hi try fed 80grain sp.works well in me tika. i now reload 80grain spbt with winchester 760 powder 44grain just as good .if you go in to reloadin try winchester 760 powder .good shotin .ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian 243 View Post
    hi try fed 80grain sp.works well in me tika. i now reload 80grain spbt with winchester 760 powder 44grain just as good .if you go in to reloadin try winchester 760 powder .good shotin .ian
    Thanks for that Ian, I'll try some of those next and save that load for the future. You don't know how timely your "good shootin" is. I've got my dsc1 shooting assesment tomorrow.....

Quote Originally Posted by ian 243 View Post
    whereabouts are you puchasing winchester powders Ian ? if you dont mind me asking as its a bit thin on the ground down here.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................