Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night work

Night work

I would just like the thoughts of members on Red deer and other night work. I am Sure that Roe and muntjac seem happy to put up with lamping at night for Foxes and rabbits as they may move about but still stay quite local.

However I have my own thoughts about Reds and would like to know what others think. So does constant lamping at night move Red deer into quieter areas and have you any examples to back this up.

One stalker I know gets the keeper to stop lamping for about a fortnight before going out after his to let the place settle down others seem not to worry.

And before anyone asks No I do not lamp deer at night , I am talking about general movement.

Many thanks

Mark

PS I have my own thoughts on this topic but want some other opinions
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

bloody hope not coming down your way on monday ,my stalker mate has had a run in or two with the keepers on the estate about lamping and they about damage to the cover strips by marauding red ,just hope they dont scare them all away !!!

Mark,

I would imagine that if the deer seemed disturbed when you lamp vermin, it will have an effect on them but to what extent I couldn't comment.

I think the effect would also be dependent on, to what degree your reds see a lamp beam as danger. Knowing you personally, I know you wouldn't lamp deer, however what people do around you, you simply cannot control. This could have an effect on how your deer react to a lamp beam.

Regards,

Alex

I don't know about Reds specifically, but after there were problems with Poachers Lamping deer on some of the land that I shoot over, the Roe became very lamp shy and I would expect any deer to cotton on to danger pretty quickly. So as Nielaj says it is unlikely to be just your actions that affect their reactions to a lamp.
    Last edited by Oh6; 09-11-2011 at 20:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    I don't know about Reds specifically, but after there were problems with Poachers Lamping deer on some of the land that I shoot over, the Roe became very lamp shy and I would expect any deer to cotton on to danger pretty quickly. So as Nielaj says it is unlikely to be just your actions that affect their reactions to a lamp.
    Putting a lamp on Reds does not disturb them much, but if they have been shot at they become lamp shy very very quick.

Mark,

As you well know my patch is a stones throw from yours and technicly were shooting the same deer !

Last year the reds were almost totally nocternal , I only managed 3 hinds all year and didn't even see a stag after the rut.

I have now not seen the hinds in nearly 3 weeks although I am seeing signs of large numbers , but have not seen a single animal !

My theroy is that. With the amount of stalkers in our area all gunning for the reds , turns them nocturnal simply as an act of survival if not nothing else.

That's Just my opinion of the deer I've been stalking and watching intensively over the last 3 seasons !

Cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

My experience with sika echos that of others - they are not worried about the lamp or by a car either until they have been shot at with one at which point they learn fast. My feeling would be that if the sika became lamp shy or shy of a vehicle then they are getting shot at under the lamp or from a car.

I suspect that most deer are used to lights shining in the night be it from cars or nearby buildings and I doubt if they know that their eyes reflect back the lights that we shine on them, they probably just view it as a similar event to another passing car or house light.

Bogtrotter spot on,reds won't bother with a lamp until they have been shot in one and they learn quick,just a flash is sometimes enough to get them scarpering

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Reds, Fallow, Sika and Roe will all not tolerate lamping over a period of time. If people are lamping rabbits at night and tramping around with 4x4 and rifles it will p....ss the deer off and make your whole job a great deal harder. As far as Muntjac and CWD are concerned I cannot comment as I have not the ground with them on to make a comment on their movements.

I am not talking about vast tracks of land in scotland I am talking about small areas , 500 acres and less. Red , sika and fallow have large ranges compared with other deer. surely this has an effect?
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.