Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what if ?

what if ?

just a thought but what if i come across a poacher,and they have a beast,say a buck taken out of season,and i confiscate it,but decided that rather than let it go to waste,
    keep it for my own consumption,but get stopped by police on the way home.
    (a) what if i have my rifle with me.
    (b) what if i dont have my rifle with me.

cheers john d

You should have rang the police anyway!

ok,but i probably wouldn`t have a signal on my mobile,when you say you are ringing the police things normally turn nasty,and how am i supposed to keep him there till they arrive, if i use force,and then what if he says i have threatened him with a weapon im the one in trouble.

its very unlikely that a poacher is goin to approach you with a deer he has shot on ur land and wrestle with him for a deer when he has a rifle and you may or may dont you would ring the police!!

If the policeman knows his deer and you have your rifle with then i would imagine you would be in deep do - do but would you really want to face up to a poacher when he could have two or three mates in the area too?
    No deer is worth the kicking.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I think its always ring the police.

Quote Originally Posted by daventus View Post
    just a thought but what if i come across a poacher,and they have a beast,say a buck taken out of season,and i confiscate it,but decided that rather than let it go to waste,
    keep it for my own consumption,but get stopped by police on the way home.
    (a) what if i have my rifle with me.
    (b) what if i dont have my rifle with me.

cheers john d
    What authority is it you think you have that allows you to confiscate the deer from him?

What if he says to you, ' I confiscated this buck from a poacher I came across earlier...'!!!!

But what if after taking possession of the buck it suddenly breaks free from your grasp as it's not quite dead. It jumps the fence into your neighbours property and dies. The poachers then make off leaving you. And then just to really make your day just as the poachers disappear the neighbouring landowner arrives to find you complete with rifle and newly expired buck on his property.

You'd be the one in the wrong for theft!
    Wild deer themselves belong to nobody but having been taken, they are owned by to the person who took them (even if he was a poacher and took them illegally).
    Daft I know, but that's the law for you!
    MS

I think the smart way to deal with that would be, hang back, or find their vehicle and take the details and or follow them and give the details to the police, notify your neighbours of what is going on so you dont end up in the **** yourself, and you shouldnt approach a situation like this when you have a gun with you and i wouldnt approach them if they had a gun. You should always have a witness when getting in to this situation or dont get involved.