what if ?

daventus

just a thought but what if i come across a poacher,and they have a beast,say a buck taken out of season,and i confiscate it,but decided that rather than let it go to waste,
keep it for my own consumption,but get stopped by police on the way home.
(a) what if i have my rifle with me.
(b) what if i dont have my rifle with me.

cheers john d

ok,but i probably wouldn`t have a signal on my mobile,when you say you are ringing the police things normally turn nasty,and how am i supposed to keep him there till they arrive, if i use force,and then what if he says i have threatened him with a weapon im the one in trouble.

its very unlikely that a poacher is goin to approach you with a deer he has shot on ur land and wrestle with him for a deer when he has a rifle and you may or may dont you would ring the police!!

If the policeman knows his deer and you have your rifle with then i would imagine you would be in deep do - do but would you really want to face up to a poacher when he could have two or three mates in the area too?
No deer is worth the kicking.

just a thought but what if i come across a poacher,and they have a beast,say a buck taken out of season,and i confiscate it,but decided that rather than let it go to waste,
keep it for my own consumption,but get stopped by police on the way home.
(a) what if i have my rifle with me.
(b) what if i dont have my rifle with me.

cheers john d

What authority is it you think you have that allows you to confiscate the deer from him?

What if he says to you, ' I confiscated this buck from a poacher I came across earlier...'!!!!

But what if after taking possession of the buck it suddenly breaks free from your grasp as it's not quite dead. It jumps the fence into your neighbours property and dies. The poachers then make off leaving you. And then just to really make your day just as the poachers disappear the neighbouring landowner arrives to find you complete with rifle and newly expired buck on his property.

You'd be the one in the wrong for theft!:cuckoo:
Wild deer themselves belong to nobody but having been taken, they are owned by to the person who took them (even if he was a poacher and took them illegally).
Daft I know, but that's the law for you!
MS:)

I think the smart way to deal with that would be, hang back, or find their vehicle and take the details and or follow them and give the details to the police, notify your neighbours of what is going on so you dont end up in the **** yourself, and you shouldnt approach a situation like this when you have a gun with you and i wouldnt approach them if they had a gun. You should always have a witness when getting in to this situation or dont get involved.

fantastic post and hilarious,nobody brave enough to come to me but i agree with the getting the reg of the motor,a blade in the ribs aint worth it,video on e mobile and keep back,good one.

Are you sure MS? I always thought that they belonged to the persons ground on which the fell.
you beat me to it there, you are correct.
In relation to the original question, i take my camera with me at all times, take his picture, ring the police, and i'm sure his mode of transport won't be that far away, but avoid at all costs direct contact with them.
Cheers
Richard

Nothing could happen in law really as there is no proof of any crime. The dead buck has an explanation and it would be up to the police and courts to proove otherwise which would be costly.

Are you sure MS? I always thought that they belonged to the persons ground on which the fell.

unfortunately, after mr poacher has shot and taken it, you as the legitimate holder of the deer rights has to poove it was not lawfully theirs to take before you can confiscate it and that needs to involve the police. Normally you should expect a fight or flight response first! But yes as far as 'ownership' goes it is legitimately the land owners carcass / holder of the deer shoting rights

The man was guilty of armed trespass and killing a beast out of season .
He should have been reported to the Police and his vehicle details given to them.
Let the law do its own work.

HWH.

You could have always asked him politely to wait with you till the "Old Bill" arrived, I'm sure he would have been only more than
happy to accommodate you !:rofl:

Truth is he'd leg it on sight of you, better to take visual notes or better still a picture at a safe distance and

AVOID CONFRONTATION

This sort of thing sometimes has a habit of coming back at you, in the form of Vandalism (to your vehicle) of perhaps even worse

one's self, so better safe than sorry.

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
But yes as far as 'ownership' goes it is legitimately the land owners carcass / holder of the deer shoting rights

You are wrong and, in Scotland at least, MonkeySpanker was nearly correct in what he said, insofar as the animal would belong to whoever lawfully took it, unless there was a contract between that person and the holder of the sporting rights on the land in question which said otherwise. However, it would not belong to a poacher and if poaching was established (in court) the carcass would be forfeit to the court and NOT handed to the land owner/holder of the sporting rights.

Back