dogs 5 a day

limulus

This one goes out to our veterinary experts.

Is there anything wrong with a dog that enjoys (for enjoy read relishes!) tomatoes and apples?

My pup would eat anything edible! All my dogs love apples but I try not to let them eat too many which is quite hard as they know where all the fruit trees are where I go!

Have had two dogs over the years that loved apples, both lived to a ripe old age, tomatoes is a new one on me, but why not ?

No.

My first lab expected the core from any apple I ate. I suspect yours is doing the same- begging to share your food. If the dog was eating apples or tomatoes from the plant, that is a little more unusual, but not a problem

My GF's flatcoat eats raspberries and brambles straight off the stalk. (almost said bush there)!!

Most fruit will do no harm, but never feed dogs grapes or raisins. They have been associated with kidney failure and the effect doesn't seem to be dose related (ie only a few may cause it in 1 dog, but another is unaffected after eating a lot).

Not well known but I have seen 2 cases.

I also heard (not sure if its true, maybe Apache can confirm), that onions, leeks, and many flower bulbs especially daffodils and iris bulbs, are harmful/fatal for dogs.

I also heard (not sure if its true, maybe Apache can confirm), that onions, leeks, and many flower bulbs especially daffodils and iris bulbs, are harmful/fatal for dogs.

You are quite correct although this is dose related. A small amount of food with cooked onion/garlic/leek shouldn't do any harm.

Back