Thread: Headspace

Headspace

Based on fire formed cases how far back should I set my full length die and what amount of tolerance is there before the case becomes too short?

I like ot set my FL dies to the point where a sampling of a half dozen cases, sized, will just chamber easily. I work my way down to that place a little at a time, with the exception rounds for auto-loading rifles for which I screw the Small Based FL die down to the shellholder and go with that. In reality, screwing the FL die down to the shell holder will work fine on most cases. There will be no real safety issues as even if a few though too short at the headspace datum, the firing will easily blow it out. What may suffer is brass life from the see-saw sizing and firing routine.

RCBS used to advocate "partial full length resizing" whereby you screw the doe down to within about 5/64th of an inch of the shell holder. It sizes most of the neck and some of the head area. I used this all the time before the advent of easily available necksizing dies like the Lee Collet set-up.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I like ot set my FL dies to the point where a sampling of a half dozen cases, sized, will just chamber easily. I work my way down to that place a little at a time, with the exception rounds for auto-loading rifles for which I screw the Small Based FL die down to the shellholder and go with that. In reality, screwing the FL die down to the shell holder will work fine on most cases. There will be no real safety issues as even if a few though too short at the headspace datum, the firing will easily blow it out. What may suffer is brass life from the see-saw sizing and firing routine.

RCBS used to advocate "partial full length resizing" whereby you screw the doe down to within about 5/64th of an inch of the shell holder. It sizes most of the neck and some of the head area. I used this all the time before the advent of easily available necksizing dies like the Lee Collet set-up.~Muir
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Based on fire formed cases how far back should I set my full length die and what amount of tolerance is there before the case becomes too short?
    I set up the die to set the case shoulder back .001 or .002.

Quote Originally Posted by palo View Post
    I set up the die to set the case shoulder back .001 or .002.
    Just done this, works fine