Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just wanted to post this

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

just wanted to post this

well i have been asked by a couple of mates on here what the op is im having.

the op is this,

at some point this month (i hope) i will be undergoing a 6 hour operation to either replace or fuse damaged disc's in my neck.

they will make the choice when they inspect the damage on opening me up so if.

they find its really bad damage and the bone is in poor condition they will fuse, the following disc's together,

c4 to c5 to c6 to c7 to c8 so thats 5 disc's fused together, this will leave me totally unable to shoot from a prone position and i will have a recovery time of 8 weeks.

if the bone is in good condition they will replace c5 c6 and c7 disc's with titainium parts, this will give me back about 90% movment in my neck and allow me to return to the prone position after the 8 weeks, but with low recoil rifles only.

but if they go in there and cock it up. i could be paralysed from the neck down.

bob.

here's hoping it goes well and we have option 2.

heres a link to a op being done on just 1 disc. graphic images.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...rYquWI87j3vT0A
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Good luck, makes a grollach look easy

Bob, I've had L4 & L5 removed/trimmed, then 7 years later L6 removed/trimmed.
    They gave me a 70% chance of coming out in a chair first time, then 50% last time.
    I was told to take it easy and never stress it too much. I have since sired two extremely lively kids and only have occasional bouts of agony.
    Don't panic if nothing works when you wake up - it's normal!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Warrior View Post
    Bob, I've had L4 & L5 removed/trimmed, then 7 years later L6 removed/trimmed.
    They gave me a 70% chance of coming out in a chair first time, then 50% last time.
    I was told to take it easy and never stress it too much. I have since sired two extremely lively kids and only have occasional bouts of agony.
    Don't panic if nothing works when you wake up - it's normal!
    cheers big man.

thats nice to have someone on thats seen it done it and now telling me about it,

i did have the face to face chat about if it goes wrong and things like hey you will have problems swallowing for a few days etc, etc, but this is the one that got me,in the 70's 1 in 1,000 have been left with nothing from the neck down but that has now got to 1 in 30,000, and this one, your voice may change as well so i popped a quick joke in at this point to lighten the chat a bit, thats good my voice may change for the better 'he looked puzzeled at my reply, i then said maybe my voice will deepen a bit and make it sound like my ba11s have dropped.

this went over his head that high i think it hit the roof.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

That's the attitude that will see you through. IT IS SCARY! However: as you say, the odds are good.
    When I asked what sports I could do after the ops, I was told to stay away from 'contact sports' (i.e. karate, rugby). They forgot to add that laying in freezing cold grass for 15 minutes means it will take me 30 to get back up - and I should do it near fence posts .
    Your life will change, not all of it will go back to 100% (unless you are really jammy), but the chancer are that your current condition will improve greatly.
    Fingers crossed for you.

Blog Entries
    cheers SW

i just cant wai to see if i can lay prone behind a rifle again and be able to hold my head up behind a rifle for more than 5 minutes at a time, and still be able as you say get back up.

bob.

So if someone accuses you of having a brass neck you can correct them - no, titanium actually!

Hope it goes well and you are back on your feet soon!

Alex

hi bob hope all goes well
    atb tom

Hi Bob,
    I'm surprised you haven't been given a date and the name of your surgeon.
    I was given a date and then called forward to have my 'fitness for op' check which was supposed to be six weeks prior to the op date. That was a Thursday, On the Saturday I recieved a letter saying there was a cancellation and if I was willing to take it, to come in the following Wednesday !!
    I was a bit worried, as when I had my 'fitness for op' check they took swabs and blood to run tests on.
    I was told the swabs would be cultured to make sure I had no fungi/nasties that could affect the open wound during the op and that it could take up to six weeks to be sure.
    I asked about it and was then told, not to worry as it was 'just a routine procedure' for fit people !! but if I didn't take the date offered I would go to the bottom of the list and wait my turn along with loads of others.
    So I took it and am now fairly fit but tend to take a bit longer to get over fences or rise from a chair or the ground.
    Mine is lower back and false knee so not exactly the same as yours but you can be glad most Southern Stalking does not end up in taking the shot from the prone position. My shooting is usually from the standing position as kneeling is now out of the question.
    If you know who is doing your op, google it and you can find out what his qualifications are and how long he has been doing it. I did mine and found out, not only his medical qualifications but that he was also a keen rugby player and played for Canada.
    Good luck with your op, half the time we worry too much but they know what they are doing and I am sure all will go well.

Best of luck with your operation. I am sure it will all go well.