Thread: Importing Firearms

Established Poster

Importing Firearms

I am interested in bringing over a 12g and a 30-06 that that are currently collecting dust in a safe back in Canada. I have some stalking booked in the next while and also shoot with the uni clay pigeon club, so I 'd like to bring my own, so as to not have to use loaners all the time. As for qualificatications, I have a Canadian FAC, DSC Level 1, and have a firearms safety cert from Ireland. I have also secured a place to store the guns in a mate's safe. The question becomes, how can I import the guns and put them on my license here? Should I apply for a visiting firearms permit and then have them transferred over? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

YukonT,

Speak to Cambridgeshire Firearms Dept.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by YukonT View Post
    I have also secured a place to store the guns in a mate's safe. .
    That would have to be cleared by the FLO, if you have joint access to the safe it will impact on your friend.
    But contact the local police for the full picture.
    Cheers
    Richard

you are much better to have your own safe, as the police never like a shared cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by YukonT View Post
    I am interested in bringing over a 12g and a 30-06 that that are currently collecting dust in a safe back in Canada. I have some stalking booked in the next while and also shoot with the uni clay pigeon club, so I 'd like to bring my own, so as to not have to use loaners all the time. As for qualificatications, I have a Canadian FAC, DSC Level 1, and have a firearms safety cert from Ireland. I have also secured a place to store the guns in a mate's safe. The question becomes, how can I import the guns and put them on my license here? Should I apply for a visiting firearms permit and then have them transferred over? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    If you are resident in the UK then you don't qualify as a visitor. You would have to apply to chief constable for the area in which you live for a firearm certificate, which should be straightforward. Once you have that, you can have your firearms shipped to you via a registered firearms dealer who has an import licence. (I am once such and could accept them for you.) You will have to identify what requirements exist to export your rifles from Canada.

-Jonathan

Hi
    Once you have your firearms certificate here next time you go to Canada just bring them back with you
    Geordie