Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Seasons for DSC1

Deer Seasons for DSC1

I have been reading some older posts on here (from 2009) and wondered if the DSC1 exam still only contains the English seasons as questions, or do we need to learn English, Scottish and Irish seasons? On the Deer Data CD from BDS it has questions about all three different sets of seasons.

I was told when I did my DSC1 that as I was being examined in England only the valid English seasons were required.
    TonyC

if you learn all 3 you wont have any problems when anybody does there dsc1

We we were told that we would only get questions on England and Scotland, and indeed that is all that we were asked about in the final papers.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    I have been reading some older posts on here (from 2009) and wondered if the DSC1 exam still only contains the English seasons as questions, or do we need to learn English, Scottish and Irish seasons? On the Deer Data CD from BDS it has questions about all three different sets of seasons.
    Our questions were only on the English seasons but it's just as easy to learn them all

English and Scottish seasons were in our Exam paper when I sat it in Scotland via BASC last year. We were told definitely not the Irish needed.

You need to know your Scottish and English dates for mainland papers.

As Paul has said.

The NI questions ( seasons or otherwise ) are not asked on England or Scotland papers.

The papers are marked up Highland etc ( for us ) and are accordingly weighted to the relevant area BUT will contain English relevant questions as well.

Perhaps being a bit presumptive as not mentioned in original post, but if you are studying/ sitting DSC1 and your centre does not provide a manual as part of the package check you have the current edition as some of the bank questions have either changed or the appropriate answer has.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Thanks for the clarification everyone, much appreciated, I'll get learning them

Watch out for the fact that some of the handbook refers to closed seasons but the questions are on open seasons. Just base your learning on what the questions ask.

I have a bad memory, so what I did with my seasons is wrote them all down and grouped together all those with the same season dates.

Does/hinds in England are easy, they are all the same. Group the big three first as the stags/bucks are the same in England, etc.

Group England in one column, and Scotland next to it, and remember Fallow bucks are the same in both countries which is one less to remember