Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poppy Burners :(

Poppy Burners :(

I have been watching the news with increasing frustration over the last few days. The government have being trying to ban an islamic organisation who are going to disrupt the Rememberance day service.

Unfortunately banning the organisation will do nothing to stop these same people trying to disrupt the proceedings.

We live in a democracy, a multicultural democracy where freedom of speech is a celebrated freedom. But how do we deal with such people, people who would not only burn poppies but are threatening to shout all through the two minutes silence at the rememberance service?

How do we retain our freedoms but stop these misguided individuals?

I would find it very easy to just resort to heavy handed policing, after all we do it so well, as those of us who went on the Liberty and Livelihood march can testify to. But is this going to solve the problem?

Sadly, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Simple, if they come and live in this country then they should embrace British history and ideals or they should F**k off back where they came from.

I am sorry if anyone thinks that is a bit extreme but I am just exercising my right of freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I have been watching the news with increasing frustration over the last few days.
    This is one of the reasons why I don't have a tele. Ignorance is bliss!

We all know what should happen to these sorts of people, but it appears to be too late I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    Simple, if they come and live in this country then they should embrace British history and ideals or they should F**k off back where they came from.

I am sorry if anyone thinks that is a bit extreme but I am just exercising my right of freedom of speech.
    While I agree with the sentiment, this statement does nothing to address the question!

If we are to retain freedom of speech and action how do we stop something happening, like this poppy burning, that I and all of my friends find so offensive?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

it is discracefull what people are doing ,i have been listening to jeramy vine on radio 2 now normally dont like his slot but this week he has been visiting the parants of the soldiers killed in afgan i have nearly been in tears all this week with their stories ,then come home and on the news some twats are stealing all the bronze names of dead soldiers on the memorials whats this country comming too .i hope the catch these people and lock them up for a long time,atb wayne

Another thread that will quickly go down hill.... and eventually result in someone getting banned.

I'd be pointing the finger at gypo's for staeling the bronze plaques, not muslims.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

If they are assylum seeker they are guests of this country. If they do not respect the host they should be automatically sent elsewhere. Too many are getting rich in the legal profession acting for and against what should be a government decission. I agree with the US on the decission to pull out of Afganistan. However we have to apppriciate it was us meddling got it into that mess in the first place. It has always had shotgun deplomacy and probably always will. If we are there in 20 years time they will still fight eachother. The poppy burning and the burning flags is attention seeking but unfortunately someone dies because of it. Same as burning the Koran. It served no purpose other than stir up haterid. Trouble with a multicultural, legalistic democracy is the fact that it "protects its own ass" so all they can go for is soft targets. Under the face covering chances are there is a lot that are not muslim. Like hunt sabs they turn up for any chance of a bit of agro. Look at the travellers camp. How many chained to the fence could give a damn and how many were there for their 15 mins of fame. Respect is a thing of the past. it is a military parade. Turn the policing of it over to the military.
    Prediction, if there is any disruption the police will get the blame.
    Jim

Got this a couple of years ago which seems to sum it up nicely.

Iraq

Hit the nail on the head!
    An incident occurred in a supermarket recently, when the following was
    witnessed....

A Muslim woman dressed in a Burkha
    (A black gown & face mask) was standing with her shopping in a queue at thecheckout.
    When it was her turn to be served, and as she reached the cashier, she made a loud remark about the
    Scottish Flag lapel pin, which the female cashier was wearing on her blouse
    The cashier reached up and touched the pin and said, 'Yes, I always wear itproudly.

My son serves abroad with The forces and I wear it for him'.
    The Muslim woman then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing
    and killing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

At that point, a Gentleman standing in the queue stepped forward, and
    interrupted with a calm and gentle voice, and said to the Iraqi woman:

'Excuse me, but hundreds of thousands of
    men and women, just like this lady's son have fought and sacrificed their Lives so that people just like YOU can stand here, in Scotland,
    which is MY country and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen'.

'It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq, which you claim to be YOUR country, then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today'.
    'However - now that you have learnedhow to speak out and criticise the Scottish people who have afforded
    You the protection of MY country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq'.

'When you get there, and if you manage to
    survive for being as outspoken as you are here in Scotland, then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place, which appears to be the reason that you have come to MY country to avoid'...

Apparently the queue cheered and applauded.

IF YOU AGREE..
    Pass this on to all of your proud Scottish friends..
    I just did..............!!!

Support Our Troops.....

hi mate i wasnt pointing a finger at muslims at all just that there is no respect anymore . i dont agree with alot of things but dont go burning poppys or stealing the names of dead people who faught for our way of life ,the familys of these people who died is hard enough without any more upset,atb wayne

Mereside:

No problem I was just passing the email on.
    I hate issues like this as I think it's totally disrespectful of those wiling to sacrafice their lives in the name of freedom.
    I have a lot of respect for the armed forces as both my parents are from Poland.
    My father and maternal grandfather were liberated by the army and rather than return to communist Poland settled here.
    So I will be paying my respects and saying my thanks.

Cheers Eddie