Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338-06

338-06

Does anyone shoot a 338-06 I have a passion to own one.
    Who makes dies for them.
    Do I have to fire form the cases.
    Can any one help me with any information at all.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

It is a cool one. I built one on a Winchester action for guy who was absolutely frantic to own one. It must be one of those calibers that grabs you by the short hairs and won't let go once you decide you need one. I think I tested the rifle with Lake City Match brass I blew out using pistol powder and a granular shot buffer called Super Grex. The fireforming loads were presented to me by the customer. My accuracy tests were with a Speer (?) 250 grain bullet over a compressed charge of H-4831. It shot very well indeed with three shot clusters inside and inch from a "slave" stock that was in no way properly bedded for this particular barreled action. As an aside, the same fellow hired be to build him a bullet mold for fireforming that had a .310" stem to fit into the 30-06 case with a short, .340" wad-cutter shaped frontal section. I guess he tired of the "Grex" as it was expensive, and corn meal and the like was messy. I'm sure that a tapered .357" expander would work fine, followed by a necking down with the .338 expander in place. Dies should be available from RCBS, Hornady and the like. It is a common wildcat.

One of the reasons I remember this rifle in particular is that my metal work was set into a stock by a stockmaker named Dale Goens, a man of some fame at one time. It turned out beautifully. I know that this rifle took at least one elk. Excellent choice for a wildcat~Muir

Muir
    Thanks for the help is there a book anywhere that would explain to me how to expand the necks without destroying the case as wildcatting is not something we realy do in the UK.

Er, i'll think you'll find that people are "wildcatting", or altering cases to suit their designs all around you...

Simply use a 338" diameter expander mandrel to increase the neck diameter.

Its not a big step up, but you could, if your concerned about cracking the case mouth use a smaller mandrel jumping from .308" (which is the internal diemeter of the 30-06 parent case - to .325" and then to .338"

You'll find, if you look at other, precision based rifle forums that its regularly done in F Class, Benchrest and target orientated disciplines....

Obviously fireforming is the last stage, but you need to get your 30-06 brass to 338 diameter before you can do that...

Established Poster
    I've been necking up .308 cases for a .338 Federal much the same deal started using the standard RCBS .338 Federal size die expander works ok but now have a Lyman M die makes life easier I am using old .308 cases lost a couple, If you use new 30/06 cases you should be ok. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Muir
    Thanks for the help is there a book anywhere that would explain to me how to expand the necks without destroying the case as wildcatting is not something we realy do in the UK.

Thanks for the help gents I now need to decide how to build it.
    Do I get a new rifle built or do I buy a 30-06 and get it re barreled.

you can obviously go custom if you wish, or if i were you i would look for an older long action Tikka or Sako, and have a new barrel fitted, obviously you will need to pay for the reamer, but its the most cost effecive way to go about this.

Just out of interest have you asked your FLO about getting a slot for this? as most people wont be allowed .338 expanding ammo, regardless of the cartridge designation.

sikadog,

There is an interesting book on this sort of thing:-

The handloader's Manual of Cartridge Convrsions by John J Donnelly

Covers just about it all on this.
    When I was mucking about with a .375 RNE 2 1/4" (9.5x57mm) I made cases from 8x57 (7.92mm). Dies were unobtainable at a reasonable rate and deliver time so I brought a set of Lee Collet dies. Bore the collet out and made a new tapered pin and it worked fine the long tapered pin expanded the necks slowly and evenly then the collet formed them nicely on the shaft of the pin. I cannot see why it would not work on your 338-06 cases .
    As for rifle .................................. any rifle chambered for the 25-06, 270, 30-06 or 7x64 would work as a donar I would have thought. Guntrader has several suitable such donars. Anderson's of East Grinstead have a 270 Armi Sabati 270 for 125. There is a 270 P-H "branded" John Dickson & Sons down n the west country for 150 or a Brno ZKK 600 in 30-06 in Dorset for 175 .........................................

So get looking and thinking then spending

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    you can obviously go custom if you wish, or if i were you i would look for an older long action Tikka or Sako, and have a new barrel fitted, obviously you will need to pay for the reamer, but its the most cost effecive way to go about this.

Just out of interest have you asked your FLO about getting a slot for this? as most people wont be allowed .338 expanding ammo, regardless of the cartridge designation.
    Good point the Firearms department, unless your extremely lucky will only know about the really over kill cartridge the .338 Lapua, possibly someone there might know the .338 Winchester but don't bet on it... 338-06 not much chance at all. Good luck in trying to educate them. Oh and it's the licensing officer who needs convincing the FEO is just the gofa.