Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Ammo safe fixing and home security

  1. #1

    Ammo safe fixing and home security

    Hello, does anyone know what the deal is with regards to the fixing of an ammo safe ? Id like to pop mine into a convenient corner of a room but the walls and floor are all wooden. ie joists and stud walls. Do you think that this is an issue ? And whats the deal with the house security ? Do I need window locks too ? Also, whats the deal with the key storage for the gun and ammo safes ? What is the best method to store the spare keys and how should one manage the main keys, id like to do things sensibly. I appreciate that this is pretty basic stuff but suggestions would be of interest to me and most likely many others too. Any help would be most welcome. Many thanks, Olaf

  2. #2
    i bolted my ammo safe to the top of my cabinet its a digital safe and spare keys go in that and i carry my set with me .atb wayne

  3. #3
    One way you could securely fix the ammo cabinet to the wall is to,
    offer up to wall,draw round it,now cut plasterboard away to reveal brickwork and fix it to them,if your very lucky it will finish flush with wall like a proper safe,so now all you need is a masterpiece to hang over it.

  4. #4
    Karlos WRONG that would do away with the weatherproofing and insulation of your house causing a cavity bridge allowing damp etc that in turn will cause condensation in the safe and any metal will corrode.
    if you cut away plasterboard at all it should be to fix additional timber studd or noggin then replace the insulation any breather paper and fix new plasterboard then fix cabinate to new studd.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hello, does anyone know what the deal is with regards to the fixing of an ammo safe ? Id like to pop mine into a convenient corner of a room but the walls and floor are all wooden. ie joists and stud walls. Do you think that this is an issue ? And whats the deal with the house security ? Do I need window locks too ? Also, whats the deal with the key storage for the gun and ammo safes ? What is the best method to store the spare keys and how should one manage the main keys, id like to do things sensibly. I appreciate that this is pretty basic stuff but suggestions would be of interest to me and most likely many others too. Any help would be most welcome. Many thanks, Olaf
    Bolt your ammo safe to joists rather than studwork if possible. The HO guidance is that it should withstand an attack with a jemmy/ cold chisel etc. for 5 minutes. Window locks are advisory not mandatory. The police will revoke your certificate if they become aware that someone that you live with knows where your keys are kept.(unless they also share your guns on their own FAC)

  6. #6
    dont lock ya spare keys in the safe , if ya loose your other set your buggered , better tape them to the top of the wardrope or pop them inside an old book on ya book shelf

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    i bolted my ammo safe to the top of my cabinet its a digital safe and spare keys go in that and i carry my set with me .atb wayne
    I wonder whether we should ask ourselves why the requirement is to keep rifle ammunition locked up separately from rifles.

    If this requirement has something to do with making it more difficult for thieves to get both a rifle and ammunition by breaking only one safe, then keeping the keys to the rifle-safe in the ammunition-safe seems perhaps less sensible. This is particularly so if the level of security of the ammunition safe is lower than that of the rifle-safe: which, if it is one of the B&Q-type electronic combination safes, it probably is.

    I don't keep cabinet keys on me at all, for fear that the loss of my house-key bunch would give the finder access to the whole lot.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    Karlos WRONG that would do away with the weatherproofing and insulation of your house causing a cavity bridge allowing damp etc that in turn will cause condensation in the safe and any metal will corrode.
    if you cut away plasterboard at all it should be to fix additional timber studd or noggin then replace the insulation any breather paper and fix new plasterboard then fix cabinate to new studd.

    This would only apply if his house is of a timber frame construction, if its a normal cavity type then there would be no bridging of the cavity and no damp striking across. I suspect he is wanting to bolt the safe to internal stud work walls and as such it'll be timber all round. Just screw it down to the joists with 3" or 4" 12's and it won't go anywhere. As for window locks, if someone wants to be in that badly, they'll just smash the window, regardless of locks. The window should have latches inside which you cant open from outside anyway.

    Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

  9. #9
    The fact is that these requirements are there to cost and be a burden on the shooter. They have proved to be less than effective in reducing armed crime. In fact armed crime continues to rise.

    As I believe I have mentioned before I used converted Shotgun cabinets to store expanding bullets and ammunition. The three gun and break down cabinet from Brattonsound I had the local sheet metal place cut sheet steel to fit and weld in as shelves. My cabinets were mounted in blocks with all of them bolted together with 8mm bolts and all wall mounting used so one would have to take Three at a time as minimum. Chances are that if they managed to pry them off the wall then the weight falling on them would break a leg at least .

    As for keys well the Police fully expect others of know the whereabouts of them. During the farce last April they were not chuffed to find that neither Mother or Father knew where the keys were. In fact they got quite uptight and repeatedly insisted that they must know where the keys were. I had to think where they were as I move the place I keep them on a fairly regular basis.

    As for window locks.......................... hmmm one must remember for them to be effective they must be locked at all times .................................. of no windows ever open. One must balance the safety aspect of being able to get out in case of emergency like fire to the need for security. Something the Police do not take into account. If your property has double glazing then chances are they can simply remove the glazing or even complete window from outside anyway.

    Friends father locked them out of the house accidently. The shed was open to he got a few tools and took a complete window out to get in to retrieve the keys. So much for security. he then re-fitted the window.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Friends father locked them out of the house accidently. The shed was open to he got a few tools and took a complete window out to get in to retrieve the keys. So much for security. he then re-fitted the window.
    They must have been the first generation of double glazing units, beaded from the outside. Its now regulated so that the units must be beaded from the inside, for obvious reasons !

    Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Gun Safe and Ammo Safe
    By insight in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 20:51
  2. For Sale Hunter Class A 8 Gun security safe.
    By Deerless in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-04-2011, 14:23
  3. Bargain ammo safe
    By Si in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 10:53
  4. Ammo safe
    By guevara in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 20:39
  5. Electronic ammo safe
    By ezzy6.5 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-02-2008, 10:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •