.22-250 bullets

Dan Newcombe

Hi

This is my first post on here but i have been reading the site for some time now and the advice is always excellent. so my question...........

i have a M595 .22-250 and mostly use it for foxes i have legal deer on my ticket as well. Im using federal balistic tip rounds at the moment and they do a great job on foxes but on the box (you know the picture key thing that they have on the side of federal bullets) its foxes, prarie dogs etc.

Are these rounds ok for a deer or do they break up too quickly for a chest shot?

I am going to start re loading rounds for the rifle when i get round to buying the dies so what bullet head should i choose to get a good combination of good fox round and occasional (when i come accross one) deer

Regards

Dan

cheers diesel

reckon i might keep the .22-250 as a fox gun and occasional necked muntie with the current type of bullet and get a seperate deer rifle.

cant see to appeal of these huge rounds myself, just harder work!

I use Norma 22-250's balistic tips , from memory I think they are v-max

I shoot all my foxes and roe with them with no probs.

I don't reload and ain't really into ballistics etc. but they certainly do the job

Using the like of v-max etc give the opportunity for the bullet to expand too quickly, but that is what they are designed for. Most people do not have any probs with using these, but it just needs to be noted that problems could occur.

If I was you I would use a SP.

Cheers,

J

I must admit that I now prefer v-max to sp's on roe.

Again it's really about collecting your own opinions and experience and that of others, it's a mine field discussing calibers rifles etc.

I think someone on here said they considered noslers to have thicker jackets than hornady (I'm talking ballistic tips) I've shot both,but haven't formed an opinion yet.

It seems as if this subject is a debate on all forums at the present and the lack of understanding by some people on the differences between different types of bullets even when spelt out in quite simple terms rather galls.

I am afraid that on numerous occasions I have found the Police lacking when it comes to requesting specifics regarding the law and as far as reloading is concerned there seems to be a great knowledge gap throughout the country.

The actuality of the law is rather less than satisfactory as there are three different sets of wording for basically the same requirement and since the Act was written bullet styles have changed and manufacturers have developed new designs. Unfortunately Nosler in particular developed two different types of bullet for two different purposes but in a way that makes them visually look the same.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland any bullet that expands in anything other than a ‘Controlled manner’ is illegal. So those bullets designed as Varmint bullets are illegal simply because they expand in an uncontrolled manner. This includes those bullets made by all manufacturers.

As far as the deer Act relating to England and Wales is concerned if we take the wording literally anyone using ANY nylon tipped bullet is doing so illegally as the law requires a soft point or hollow point. It has generally been accepted that until the Act is rewritten the wording for Northern Ireland and Scotland is appropriate and if you consult with the Home Office as I have done you will find their attitude is along those lines. They accept that the nylon tip style of bullet in hunting format designed to expand in a controlled manner is in effect a ‘Hollow Point’ with an insert and therefore acceptable.

No where in the UK is it acceptable to use any bullet that is designed to expand in a violent of explosive manner as the effects on an animal are unpredictable?

I have had guests that have used such bullets unbeknown to me. In one example the deer was neck shot and although killed the extreme expansion of the bullet allowed fragments of jacket to pierce the lungs, the saddle and the front leg. Having seen first hand on various occasions the totally undesirable effects of using the ‘wrong’ bullet on live quarry makes me particularly vehement in decrying the practice.

If I have offended anyone on this forum then I apologise but will not change my stance as no live animal should be shot in a way that may well cause suffering and it behooves each and every shooter to uphold that stance with each and every shot they take.

In order to ensure everyone can understand the differences and do not get confused by different folks examples please lets just try to use correct terminology and then everyone will appreciate bullet differences whatever the manufacturer being mentioned.

Ballistic Tip is a registered trademark of Nosler and is used for two types of bullet. The Hunting Ballistic Tip and the Varmint Ballistic Tip.

No other manufacturer can make or call their bullets Ballistic Tip so please refer to other makers bullets by their correct name / terminology and then we will all appreciate exactly what any post is talking about.

All bullets with a polymer tip insert have their own makers nomenclature please try to use it then there will be no misunderstandings

Re Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets

Ballistic Tip bullets come in two types - Varmint and Hunting. The Hunting has a thicker Jacket and a different thickness progression from base to tip and tends to do as is required for an animal such as deer - expand controllably. The Varmint style is thinner jacketed and tends to 'explode' rather than expand so on thicker skinned game you can find a larger, wider wound channel and often no exit wound.

It is most unfortunate the two types of bullet - so different in design yet so similar in looks - were all 'lumped' together under the same name. It would have been far preferable to have two totally different style names really.

There is no overlap of bullet weights style to style but all bullets of one cal have the same coloured tips whatever the type.

All 22c/f Ballistic Tip bullets are Varmint style
, but in say 243 there is an overlap.

55grain 70grain and 80grain Ballistic Tip bullets are....................(Quote from site)

Nosler Ballistic Tip® Varmint
The World's Best Varmint Bullet

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b...;s=17&t=6mm

Go ahead, drive ‘em out of that Swift as fast as you can. You won’t find any speed limits on these bullets to slow you down. Nosler Ballistic Tip® Varmint bullets thrive on ultra-high velocity loads. Even if you’re loading for a Hornet, Zipper or WSSM, these hot little devils will go the distance with spectacular results all the way down to the lowest practical velocity level. To order online click here.
Nestled in the jacket mouth is the streamlined polycarbonate tip, color-coded by caliber.
The Ballistic Tip® Varmint bullet's ultra thin jacket mouth assures violent expansion at either end of the velocity scale.
The uniform, gradual thickening of the jacket wall at the bullet's mid-section is designed to keep the Ballistic Tip® Varmint bullet together until impact ­ at any velocity.
The heavy jacket base prevents bullet deformation during firing.
Nosler's unique Solid Base® boat-tail design, combined with the polycarbonate tip, dramatically increases long-range ballistic efficiency.
Minimum Impact Velocity: 1600 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity: Unlimited

However, for controlled expansion 90grain and 95 grain bullets are ................

Ballistic Tip® Hunting
Hunting's Deadliest Deer Bullet

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5

I trust that assists in understanding the differences in Ballistic Tip bullet design and that in 22c/f most bullets tend to be of the 'explosive' style.

Other manufacturer’s differences in their bullet line are similar – see Hornady products

This is a problem with the .22 cf that there is Varmint and deer bullets. why not just use bullets suitable for deer ?
Mind you once had to finish off a very large fallow buck shot in the neck with a .308 130grn hollow point bullet. It had a large chunk blown out of it neck but was very much up and running. It was not me who used the hollow point.
So it do's not matter what calibre you use always use a bullet suitable for the quarry you are hunting.

I have killed deer with the 22-250. Try Hornady 55 grain SP with the cannelure and not driven overly fast. I have seen lung hit deerfold within a few paces and neck shot deer drop on the spot. A Sioux indian buddy of mine used the 22-250 exclusively for deer and this was his recommendation to me when I had the need to do so. He told me to keep the speeds to 3000 fps with this bullet. It worked. I moved on to larger calibers when I moved out of state (the .22's weren't legal in the state I relocated to) but this fellow continued to kill large mule deer with a "250" up until his death. ~Muir

PS: This fellow was a superb field shot. The cartridge can be pretty unforgiving if your skills aren't up to snuff. (JMHO)

Re-iteration

Yet again like some old geriatric repeating himself the holier than thou masters from down south who have condemned the 22CF as a rabbit gun.

So if we are reiterating and live in Scotland. Sierra make a bullet range called a "Game King"
Thats GAME not VARMINT or FOX or WABBIT.

I tell thee what... I will paste some knowledge of a web page for you and it will make me look like i know what i am talking about.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bc&stock_num=1365&bullettype=0

these comply with the legislation laid down by the DCS, if you dont believe me call them:
Roe Deer only 50grains (3.24grams) 2,450 ft/sec
(746.76 mtrs/sec) 1,000 foot pounds
(1,356 joules)

Rifle bullets should be of an expanding type designed to deform in a predictable manner

Happy Winterfest

Dieseldan, there is a cuckoo in the "Gameking " nest in that they include the 55grn fmjbt (military) bullet in this group.

Just had another look and there are several cuckoos in the nest, .243 and .308 also. Probably intended for countries other than the U.K. for gamebirds and fur.

But as Jagare says - its not the size that counts but where you put it!

The 22cf debate goes on :evil:

I am not at all interested in reloading or any of the mathematical masturbation that goes along with it. Its getting on my *** that people who spout reloading and tech & balistical data are belittling the experience of people who "do"

I deal in facts not in hornady or Nosler books

Fact - I've shot 1000's of roe [not bumming about it] and used 270's, 243's as well as having clients with every concievable round imaginable, and out of all this the most effective round I've used or seen for roe deer is a 22-250 using norma v-max ammo.

I'm not saying everyone should use a 22-250 but I would appretiate it if some people would listen to some of us that "do"
I assure you that I would not use these rounds if they weren't effective.

ps I used bt's with my 25-06 years ago and stopped because of meat damage .

Back