Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: id like to do the DSC1. Any thoughts ?

id like to do the DSC1. Any thoughts ?

Hello, id like to do my DSC1 and Ive been told by a friend of mine who factors several estates in Scotland that I should do it through BASC. I just looked on the web and all of their courses seem to be totally booked up, id like to get cracking asap rather than wait until next summer. I can go elsewhere for the course and treat it like a working holiday although somewhere local to me would be better as I could then drive over each day and still be able to return to the opulent luxury of my shared 2 bed house to study in the evenings. I live in Cambridge, any thoughts ? Also, how long does the DSC1 take to do and what does it involve ?

Kind regards, Olaf

Olaf try jelen deer you wont go far wrong they have a very good pass rate. They also have some very good stalking. Good luck
    www.jelendeer.com

Olaf, if you look at the BASC web-site there will be links to people who run the courses.

Beware not all courses are equal!

There are some that will claim to be able to get you through the course in two days. Having done the DSC1 through the BDS (West group) I cannot understand how this is possible. We had a vet, a rifle builder, a professional stalker, a police amourer and a lawyer running my course and it was very enjoyable and informative. It would have been possible to fit the whole thing into three days, but never, never, in two days.

I believe that the course now costs around 300 plus accomodation & food if you are travelling from far away.

I found it a very enjoyable exercise.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hello, id like to do my DSC1 and Ive been told by a friend of mine who factors several estates in Scotland that I should do it through BASC. I just looked on the web and all of their courses seem to be totally booked up, id like to get cracking asap rather than wait until next summer. I can go elsewhere for the course and treat it like a working holiday although somewhere local to me would be better as I could then drive over each day and still be able to return to the opulent luxury of my shared 2 bed house to study in the evenings. I live in Cambridge, any thoughts ? Also, how long does the DSC1 take to do and what does it involve ?

Kind regards, Olaf
    I did the now discontinued online course with the BDS (now replaced by the interactive CD). The key things I found were to thoroughly learn the manual ( a good 200 hours work) and to do lots of dry firing with the rifle to find a comfortable shooting position with as little movement as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post

Kind regards, Olaf
    Hi Olaf,
    as mentioned on here before you wont go far wrong with Mike and the lads at Jelen deer services, you'll get access to their interactive learning centre to help with your studying before you attend, the course is run over 3 days (friday evening, then saturday and sunday) the course work supplied is from BASC and the tests are carried out by a BASC assessor. They run a course every month and they're only in hampshire with plenty of decent B+B's and hotels in the area.
    Definately worth a call.

I did mine with Corinium Rifle Range, just south of Cirencester - so maybe the wrong part of the country for you. It was a pretty intense , but very enjoyable. I believe the pass rate was 100% for our course.

Hi chaps, thank you all very much for your kind and useful advice. I shall be on the phone 1st thing in the morning and i will sick a post up as soon as Ive got in there and sorted it.

regards, Olaf

I to would recomend Mike at Jelen or if you did not fancy travelling that far then maybe Simon at Reeves Deer Mangement in Bishopstone near Aylesbury, great chap very knowledgable done mine with him many moons ago.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Thanks Moonraker. We are running our next course on the first weekend in February next year (4,5 & 6th, Sat, Sun & Mon). The cost of the course is 290.00 which includes the manual and all the fees. It is run through the BASC. Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

Hi Olaf our next Dsc1 course is in december if you need any details or help dont hesitate to get in touch.

Regards
    Dave (Jelen deer services )