Thread: Variation

Variation

If I want to change my 223 for a 243 and my local FLD say this is ok do I submit a one for one variation? Do I dispose of the 223 once I have received approval for the 243 or do I need to dispose before I send in the variation?
    Just as a matter of interest I posted an earlier thread regarding holding two rifles of the same calibre - the FLD said this was fine. One 243 for vermin, heavier varmint type, light BT loads and my current sako for mobile hill and woodland deer stalking. Why do I want two 243's because I fancy another one by a different maker and I dont want to dispose of my sako.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W16OEN View Post
    If I want to change my 223 for a 243 and my local FLD say this is ok do I submit a one for one variation? Do I dispose of the 223 once I have received approval for the 243 or do I need to dispose before I send in the variation?
    Just as a matter of interest I posted an earlier thread regarding holding two rifles of the same calibre - the FLD said this was fine. One 243 for vermin, heavier varmint type, light BT loads and my current sako for mobile hill and woodland deer stalking. Why do I want two 243's because I fancy another one by a different maker and I dont want to dispose of my sako.
    Thanks
    Apply for the one for one and dispose of your existing rifle when you have received the variation & permit back from the police

I've lost count of the times this query has come up.

First of all, it's expected that you dispose of the old .223 first, or simultaneously of course if you are trading it in against the .243. Easier all round for everyone.

Technically, a One-for-One is a swap from old to new in the same cartridge. That doesn't need FEO clearance because the authorisation is still valid.

What you're doing is a One-off & One-on, which is usually referred to the FEO.

You can hold on to the old rifle, but you'll have to apply for a temporary permit to hold it while you sell it, and you won't be able to use it.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.