250 Savage

I had a Savage 99 in 250-3000 but is was really mediocre in the accuracy department; something I attribute to the rifle, not the cartridge. Are you thinking of one? ~Muir

Thinking about it. I've seen one over here second hand and seems quite a nice rifle from a balistic point of view ie about 2820f/s from 100g bullet (Rem/win) with may be a bit more punch than a 243, and quite a nice make. It seems a nice cal to perhaps one day start a bit of reloading on but finding ammunition over here (UK) maybe a problem.
I'm surprised about the accuracy of yours Muir most things I read say its a good accurate calibre.

Sounds like an ideal cartridge for a light sika rifle. Especially under 200yd.
I'd love one, but who make ammo for them?
edi

Remmington and Winchester and I found one or two other smaller companies in the states and they produce it seasonally I think but its getting it over here that maybe a problem.
It seems its a fore runner to the Roberts and then the 25-06 but maybe disappearing into obscurity but Savage, Ruger and one or two others (Cooper) still make rifles in them.
On paper it does sound a nice good calibre but I think the Roberts has taken over where it stopped (but modern powders keep it up there with them, I did see one ammo manufacturer quoting 3130 f/s for a 100g) and no-one says anything bad about the roberts.

Last edited:
The Savage Model 99 lever action had a thin, whippy barrel that was not really conducive to fine accuracy. In a bolt action it would be more accurate. No matter what the vehicle, it is certainly a fine deer cartridge. Were I to be looking for those kind of ballistics I might be tempted to spring for a 257 Roberts. A quarter-inch longer OAL, slight ballistic edge on paper, but a good supply of brass. You're less likely to get a "say wha...???" when you ask for brass or ammo. In a pinch you can make it from 7x57... tho I guess you could get by necking up 22-250 to form 250 Savage!~Muir

Yep I came to the same conclusion I have seen a roberts for sale but the 250 is by a good continental maker. The head's saying one thing the heart the other!
Most of my shooting would be over shorter ranges and hence not that interested in the higher velocity calibres and thought this would be quite a nice calibre to do development on.
It is nice having something a bit out of the ordinary though!? Or perhaps not!

As you know 22-250 is the 250-3000 Savage necked down and the 257 Roberts is the 7x57 Mauser necked down. So knowing the "offspring" and the "parent" as it were may help you decide.

In my opinion BOTH are, within their bullet weight limitations, fine deer cartridges. Effectively the 257 Roberts has the edge as it can handle 117 grain weight bullets better. If that is a factor.

But, of course, the 250-3000 Savage built its reputation on firing a 87 grain bullet at 3000 fps velocity. Which the 257 Roberts will also easily do and then some.

Another factor is the action size of your action. As far as I am concerned if you have a Mauser length action you might as well benefit from it an use it to fire a Mauser length cartridge! It will, in theory, feed and eject better but certainly you will have more powder space in your case.

250-3000 Savage? Stick with it in what it was intended for...Savage's Model 99. But in a Mauser action length bolt gun? Choose the 257 Roberts it will have all the performance of the 250-3000 and THEN some...and offer no performance disadvantage for all practical purposes here in the UK to the 25-06.

What is the pracical difference between short and long actions?
Don't worry answering that one I've just read a big speel on it on another forum. There are pros and cons to both and am not sure of what action lengths the respective rifles have.

any thing that can be said about .243 win with 85plus gr bullet gose for the savage and it as a nice edge in that you can get 117 grm and they work well

any thing that can be said about .243 win with 85plus gr bullet gose for the savage and it as a nice edge in that you can get 117 grm and they work well

Thats exactly what caught my interest in the cal. I've just checked the difference between the oal of the roberts and savage cartriges and its about 0.26" whether that'll make much of a difference or not I don't know. But its the availability of the ammunition thats the question. Intersting calibre though

What is the pracical difference between short and long actions?

I'll not open the "can of worms" aspect of this by going on about one being stiffer or lighter or etc., etc., etc..

No!

Just that if you have a rifle built on a long action you might just as well make a benefit from that feature of its size and use a "long" cartridge. That is to say something based on either the 7x57 Mauser or 30-06 cartridge lengths.

Thus 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, 30-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen etc., etc.

You could, of course, equally use that same long action (as did Parker-Hale) on a stalking rifle in 243 Winchester, 7mm-08, 308 Winchester, 338 Federal, 358 Winchester or anything else based on the 7.62mm NATO cartridge necked down or up.

But it won't theoretically work as well (feeding and ejecting) as the cartridge will be "slack" in the magazine and therefore not optimum.

That may be "poppycock" or not but the fact remains that if you have a long action it is better with a long cartridge AND that that same Mauser or 30-06 based long cartridge will be capable of more power than its shorter 7.62mm NATO based same calibre size equivalent.

Also a long action usually allows bullets to be seated "out" of the case again giving more powder capacity. However some cartridges such as the 300 Winchester Magnum as so long as despite being in a long action to not permit this.

LONG ACTION - USE A LONG CARTRIDGE.

7.62mm NATO LENGTH CARTRIDGE - USE A SHORT ACTION.

The other advantage of the 257 Roberts is that having a longer case neck you can seat the bullet further out in excess of the SAAMI overall length dimensions to increase case capacity if using slower burning powders. Yet still retain a good amount of bullet held by that case neck.

Back