Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BDS auction knife

BDS auction knife

Hi all,

Started this knife on Friday: BDS blade pictures by roestalker270 - Photobucket
    It's going to be donated to the BDS as an auction item at some stage in the future. It's in 4mm 12c27 stainless steel and has a tapered tang. I've just finished the file work around the tang, there's my usual thumb grip area followed by a vine pattern on top, on the underside is a sort of celtic pattern that fades into a part vine. The holes in the celtic area will have gold inlays to fill them up. It's the first time I've done this pattern and I've never seen it on another knife before.

Haven't decided on what handle scales to fit yet, but it will either be antler or stabilised timber of some sort with a thin brass plate liner. As and when i do anything new I'll update the thread with new pictures.

Hope you all like it,

ATB,
    Nick
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Nice very nice look forward to seeing it finished
    atb Graham
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

ah mate, im seriously liking that, especially the underside

Thanks fellas,

Going to give it a pre heat treat polish tomorrow. Heat treating will be done this week. Meanwhile, i have to decide on the handle material???
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Digger
    It looks fantastic so far, look forward to seeing the finished article. My personal choice for scales would be burr Elm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    Digger
    It looks fantastic so far, look forward to seeing the finished article. My personal choice for scales would be burr Elm.
    Thanks mate,

I've got a guy on the case to get me some stabilised Amboyna burl. It's a fantastic material, doesn't tend to have the little gaps and fissures that other burrs have.

ATB,
    Nick

Account Suspended
    nick
    you have some serious tallent mate, that is stunning now thats going to be seriously a great knife

Thanks Derek, you're too kind!

When it's done and the BDS finally get back to me about whether they want it or not I'll give everyone a heads up about when it might become available. I'm guessing they'll have to raffle it in the DEER journal as they can't auction knives on eBay. So for the cost of a few tickets some lucky punter will end up with it.

All the best,
    Nick

That will be very nice when its finished.

Nice knife Digger, hope they auction it for you I tried to do the same for Help for Heroes and all I got was grief. I was told knives were illegal and prohibited items by a guy who told me he knew all about knives as he was an ex Sgt in the army, clearly he did not. I was also told no one was allowed to use the colours they have as they own the colours they use. That of course was rubbish as they dont own the pantones just a registered trade mark. It really was more trouble than you could ever imagine, kinda sad as just trying to help the poor guys in the field to be stopped by pen pushers.