Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shoot all brown hares

shoot all brown hares

I find it disterbing that some estates are shooting every brown hare on sight now in order to deter lurcher men they say its the only way to stop poachers as police do not want to know.
    Your Thoughts on subject.should law be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    I find it disterbing that some estates are shooting every brown hare on sight now in order to deter lurcher men they say its the only way to stop poachers as police do not want to know.
    Your Thoughts on subject.should law be changed?
    Which law would you have changed,and how?

I dont know any keepers that stupid , you want to belive half of what you see and nothing you hear

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    I dont know any keepers that stupid , you want to belive half of what you see and nothing you hear
    Thats a bit harsh, trouble. I've been asked to do just that by the landowner for that very reason.

Trouble you must live in a bubble if you have not heard of it before.I have had a few say this is common practice in areas where long dogs are a real problem and have been asked to do it myself.reason no hares no reason for dog men to come!!

You want to come and look at the hares round here , i could fill the pick up in a night and next door is the same . We dont have problems with long dogs because we are about all hours , earley morning and late at night , we have good relations with the police and their very good at coming out if theres a problem . You wont find us sat in the house if theres nothing to do we are patroling the shoot or sat on a vantage point . We all know these boys love to boast about catching cotswold hares so we put the hours in , the secrets in the name gameKEEPER , maybe thats why we dont have alot of grief in our "bubble"

trouble glad to here you do not have a problem you must be very lucky to have full support of police also.last time I rang the police at 3am it was 35minutes before the police arrived and all they were intersted in was where was I going (stalking of course) I showed them all the nessecary paper work which wasted another 10 minutes.The suspect vechile not hare courses would then have been 20miles away assuming it travelled at 30miles an hour.unfortunatly I am not a fulltime keeper and have to make a living in other work.

I am a 'full time' keeper. If we were paid by the hour for being out when theres 'nothing else to do', I'd be very well off!.
    I've apprehended 'coursers' and been advised by them that 'if I interefere, my head would be ripped off' and 'all my poults will be killed'. The landowners don't want reprisals as 'we know where you live'. And best of all, the police won't intervene as the threats have no 'substance' - and yet I've been advised by them (police) not to interfere with coursers as they will report me for armed threat and they (the police) will have no recourse but to take my firearms off me until the matter is fully investigated.
    My only recourse to date is to harrass with my light from a good distance. (Mines brighter than theirs!).
    Sod it. Whats on telly!.
    I'm invited to stalk in the Cotswolds quite regularly; and I see no signs of the kind of 'weight' of coursers (I hesitate to use other monikers) we have around here.
    Last edited by 243ack; 14-11-2011 at 09:14. Reason: punctuation

Anyone aware of the legal position or otherwise if a "keeper" shoots a coursing dog in the process of chasing a hare or a deer at night (apart from being able to run away quickly) and is this a possible solution? After all in the dark he would not be able to see the handlers at the other end of the field and he would not therefore be endangering any others.
    TonyC

Shooting the dogs may make you feel better but the landowner wont half pay for it when they turn up late one night, these people are the scum of the earth they would stab you and leave to die without a second thought why do you think the police wont get involved ! shoot all rabbits hares foxes on site and keep your deer numbers down