Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's be pedantic

Let's be pedantic

I often see writngs/posts on forums, where bullets are referred to as almost anything other than what they are, i.e. Bullets.
    I see bullets referred to as ‘Heads’ ‘Tips’ ‘Bullet Heads’ & Projectiles quite frequently.
    While a bullet certainly is a projectile, I just cannot understand what’s so hard about calling a bullet,a bullet.

Bullets are a reloading component and as most of us know, are available in many different formats. However, they are all ‘Bullets’.

A loaded round, complete in every respect is a ‘Cartridge’ and may be called ‘A Round’.
    The various components making up the cartridge are: Cartridge Case, Primer, Propellant and Bullet.
    Am I wrong? Have I just turned into an ‘Old Fart’?…..Oh god I hope not!!!
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Spot on ye old fart join the club.

While you are no doubt correct regarding the terminology, I would ask you not to encourage pedantry on this site. There is more than enough of that to go round during the normal discourse here......
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    I often see writngs/posts on forums, where bullets are referred to as almost anything other than what they are, i.e. Bullets.
    I see bullets referred to as ‘Heads’ ‘Tips’ ‘Bullet Heads’ & Projectiles quite frequently.
    While a bullet certainly is a projectile, I just cannot understand what’s so hard about calling a bullet,a bullet.

Bullets are a reloading component and as most of us know, are available in many different formats. However, they are all ‘Bullets’.

A loaded round, complete in every respect is a ‘Cartridge’ and may be called ‘A Round’.
    The various components making up the cartridge are: Cartridge Case, Primer, Propellant and Bullet.

I totaly agree, lets be more pedantic... for a start you're punctuation is atrosious...

(please lord no one state the obvious)

Get a life much more to worry about, its not just bullets , heads, theres, shottys, rimmys, and worst of all permissions, there is no such thing as a permission you have a lease or the rights not a blxxdy permission
    but who cares as long as you understand what is being said , what does it matter.

My local Constabulary refers to your BULLETS as `missiles` and CARTRIDGES as `bullets`.
    I care not what anyone calls them providing that I always have sufficient in stock.
    I am an `Ancient Fart`and got here without being a silly, pedantic `Young Fart`.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    I totaly agree, lets be more pedantic... for a start you're punctuation is atrosious...

(please lord no one state the obvious)

And your spelling?

WHO CARES
    JUST GO STALKING AND ENJOY
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

It has always seemed strange to me that in almost any other pass time/hobby/sport the use of incorrect terminology would get one corrected quickly and others involved would right away know and think you had not go much idea or real interest in what your doing.

The terms/names were laid down for these things in shooting well over a century ago now so just how hard is it to learn a few words and what they mean then use them.

Stalking in particular seems very two faced about this I can just imagine the looks down the nose at those using the term "Gutting" when stalking on the hill, or even other places. That is not the done thing but calling a bullet a head, tip etc is OK ........................... Hmmmm how does that work?