Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've had an Epiphany!

Lightbulb I've had an Epiphany!

Reading the thread about ranges to zero a .308 at got me thinking.

Most of us zero about an inch high at 100m and actually do this at 100m range.
    This then gives us two points of true zero which for most calibres will be about 75-80m and again at around 150m.
    So here's a thought...............

Why not just zero at the closest point of zero. I can see a good few advantages of doing this...
    • Less walking to check the target!
    • Less influence on trajectory from environmental factors such as wind.
    • A definite point of aim i.e at the centre of bull.
    • Target closer and therefore easier to see with a limited power scope.
    You will obviously need to check exactly what your chosen setup does at longer range, but once this is established, a quick first point of zero check should be all that is required. What do ya reckon?
    MS

I was wondering why we don't all zero at 100 smack on and just aim up an inch at 200m, after all most stalking shots are around the 100 meter mark

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    I was wondering why we don't all zero at 100 smack on and just aim up an inch at 200m, after all most stalking shots are around the 100 meter mark
    If you are bang on at 100m with a 308, you will be 2-3" low at 200m, depending on the bullet fired.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

does that mean i can claim for all the time and money you will save as i started the 308 thread

i may well be getting my coat and leaving in a minute but you say definate point of aim without having to hold an inch over to zero at 100. dont you just aim spot on at 100 and get bullet stricking 1 inch high. or shall i get my coat

when i first started re-loading i did most of my range work in my parents back yard at 50m , then once i had a load i i used to zero 1"high at 50m then i test at 100m and it was spot on so happy days , i dont walk if i dont have too !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    i may well be getting my coat and leaving in a minute but you say definate point of aim without having to hold an inch over to zero at 100. dont you just aim spot on at 100 and get bullet stricking 1 inch high. or shall i get my coat
    correct

Ahhh the closest point where the bullet strike crosses the reticle or line of sight is about 25-30 yards depending on the height of the scope above bore line. It's not new information as it's been about and believe Marlin Rifles used to have the concept and instructions on their web site.

I have always used what you call the first true zero as a quick/easy way of confirming that my rifles are still zero'd and expect to see a single small ragged hole in the X-ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh the closest point where the bullet strike crosses the reticle or line of sight is about 25-30 yards depending on the height of the scope above bore line. It's not new information as it's been about and believe Marlin Rifles used to have the concept and instructions on their web site.
    I have heard that theory, but it does not seem to work for me on any number of rifles. It may be that this rule works useing smaller US style scopes much closer/lower to the bore.

Useing a 50mm scope, clearing the barrel by 5mm roughly, I find that if I zero a 243, 260 or 270 bang on at 35m or thereabouts I generally find I am quite high at 100m, maybe 4-5" high. I usually get a rough zero by keeping the POA about an inch low at 35m, this leaves most rounds 1" to 2" high at 100m.

You really need to zero at 100 to verify the theories. You also need to shoot at 200m and 300m to verify your drops.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......