Thread: Stinky stag

Stinky stag

I went for a stalk around a wood this morning after I had shot a munty from a high seat and got a spiker red stag, its the first one ive shot during or straight after the rut, I could not believe how the thing smelt it was absolutely rancid, no need for a dog if i'd needed to track it, I could smell it from 20 feet away and by the time I had gralloched it and hauled it to the track i smelt just as bad, as soon as i got home all my gear went in the washing machine and i went in the shower and I can still smell it now.

I'm single and I didnt want me in my house so how you married guys get on, god only knows

the saying old stalkers never die they just smell that way must be spot on.

mike

Believe it or not if you wash your arms/hands down with toothpaste, it should help lift the smell. I though my mate was having me on years ago when he told me about it but it seems to work.

Best option though is to slip a vets examination glove over your arm. In fact, I don't even take the jacket off, it goes over the top right up to my arm-pit. My pockets have an endless supply of them and latex gloves.

thanks for the tip, i'll try that next time, my girlfriend will love me smelling minty fresh all over lol.

Ive shot them before in august and september and they never smelled anything like the one today, probably has something to do with the stinky wallow theyve made in the wood over the road, if the wind lays right you can smell it from the road.

mike

Never mind by the time you are half way through the rut you don't even notice it, oh and if you think thats bad try feral goats.

My girlfriend hangs her head out the window of the landrover if there's a rutty buck in the back, the smell makes her want to be sick! Well done on the munty and red.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Never mind by the time you are half way through the rut you don't even notice it, oh and if you think thats bad try feral goats.
    +1 with this
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    +1 with this
    +2 on the feral goat a big ole billy is the king of stinkers!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Believe it or not if you wash your arms/hands down with toothpaste, it should help lift the smell. I though my mate was having me on years ago when he told me about it but it seems to work.

Best option though is to slip a vets examination glove over your arm. In fact, I don't even take the jacket off, it goes over the top right up to my arm-pit. My pockets have an endless supply of them and latex gloves.
    Very useful those gloves
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Ahh The joys of the job!
    I dont usually wash my stalking clobber till we finish the stags , by the end my jacket could hold hinds by smell alone! i'm sure it helps when cutting the wind and can give you a few more seconds once discovered . The down side is you get used to the smell. It doesnt wash off easy and can get you funny looks while queing at the Tesco's checkout! ( the opposite of the lynx effect)
    Mind you with over 1m of rain sept/oct i finished the stags looking like i'd been pressure washed !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
    I could not believe how the thing smelt it was absolutely rancid, no need for a dog if i'd needed to track it, I could smell it from 20 feet away and by the time I had gralloched it and hauled it to the track i smelt just as bad, as soon as i got home all my gear went in the washing machine and i went in the shower and I can still smell it now.

I'm single and I didnt want me in my house so how you married guys get on, god only knows
    Thats the smell of success, my ProHunter cuffs are pretty high by the end of the season.

Personally, I like it, I suppose its a smell that reminds me of the hill at its best.

Im reckoning you wont find a hill stalker that dislikes it.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!