Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRVI 7mm 140 grain BTSP bullets.

PRVI 7mm 140 grain BTSP bullets.

I don't know if these bullets are available for reloading in the UK but they are a bit of a novelty here. They are inexpensive and from my limited experience, seem to do the job both in the accuracy department and in the field.

I recently did some reloading of my mannlicher-stocked Mauser 98 in 7x57 using these bullets over my favorite 145 grain loading of H-4831. The loads grouped about 3/4" to roughly the same point of aim as the Speer Hot Core 145 grain I have been using for 30+ years. I was pleased as these bullets are half the cost of the Speers.

Yesterday evening I took a walk along a fence line north of town and came across a group of mule deer some 130 yards away on a hillside. I took a rest against the 20 mph winds driving snow and rain and planted a bullet squarely in the lungs of the largest of the does as she stood broadside. She bucked, trotted 10 or 12 yards and fell over, sliding downhill and leaving a visible blood trail in the grass. Upon arriving at the kill (had to cross a fence line) I saw that she was the biggest doe I had ever shot, without question. We estimate she went better than 150 pounds dressed. When I rolled her on her back to dress her out the blood poured out of the exit wound. The lungs were pulped. After field dressing her I took her to the rural butcher where I skinned her in preparation for the locker. The bullet made a pinky diameter hole going in and a thumb sized hole exiting with little to no meat damage.

I am very pleased with these bullets so far. I am off to South Dakota this week and will be taking the 7x57 along as one of my rifles. I hope to give it another test on whitetails.~Muir

Factory rounds over here are cheap plus I've used the cases for reloading without any problems. Velocity in 6.5x55/140g is low and a bit variable but accuracy good. Entry/exit wounds as you describe.
    Not sure if we can buy the bullets separately.

Regards

I have never shot the loaded ammo as it's rarely seen in my area. One shop carried 8x57, and another 30-06 but that's all I've seen. The components are available from one distributor and he seems to carry a wide assortment. The bullets are dead cheap compared to cost of domestic pills. I have picked up 9.3mm bullets along with the 7mm and some 30 cal 165 grain BTSP that I shot last night. (excellent accuracy from my 30-06 with RL-17) I'd like to buy some 6.5's. These bullets are cheap enough that I buy 500 at a time.

I have used their brass with complete satisfaction so far. JAYB sent me the first PRVI brass I ever used in 243 some years ago and since I've bought 7x57 ($23/100 VS $64/100 for Winchester or Remington) and 22 Hornet. So far, at least, inexpensive hasn't equated to "bad".~Muir

Thought it was these... Privi do a bullet they call Grom and I have seen some of those at the gun club in the shop. Cannot recall calibre .............................. sorry .

http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle.php

Here is their web site and it shows what they make although of course that does not mean someone imports them . I have used Privi brass too. In fact they used to make the ammunition for Century Arms in the US and I have some old boxes of the 6.5x55 SP ammo somewhere. The cases back then were marked NNY.

Ah! Brit! You walking encyclopedia of gun knowledge! I have shot much of that "NNY" marked 6.5x55 by Century Arms. That was a while back, wasn't it??

Thanks for the link. The bullet seated in that Grom ammunition looks to be the same bullet as I've been shooting. The have a funny dot of lead at the tip.~Muir

Muir,

The Privi Grom in 7mm only comes in 158gr so it's unlikely to be that one.

Possibly their standard SP or SPBT? http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle_b.php

I've been trying their 100gr SP in .243 and have been quite impressed with it - groups well through my ES67 Blaser Bockbüchsflinte, and not least the price!
    Last edited by Orion; 15-11-2011 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ah! Brit! You walking encyclopedia of gun knowledge! I have shot much of that "NNY" marked 6.5x55 by Century Arms. That was a while back, wasn't it??

Thanks for the link. The bullet seated in that Grom ammunition looks to be the same bullet as I've been shooting. The have a funny dot of lead at the tip.~Muir

Yes it was a while back I brought 100 or 200 of it when I acquired the Sporterised Swedish Mauser. Never shot any deer with it as it went down range on paper punching... Of course that was before the stupidity of the expanding ammo lark here in the UK .

I don't know if these bullets are available for reloading in the UK but they are a bit of a novelty here. They are inexpensive and from my limited experience, seem to do the job both in the accuracy department and in the field.

I recently did some reloading of my mannlicher-stocked Mauser 98 in 7x57 using these bullets over my favorite 145 grain loading of H-4831. The loads grouped about 3/4" to roughly the same point of aim as the Speer Hot Core 145 grain I have been using for 30+ years. I was pleased as these bullets are half the cost of the Speers.

Yesterday evening I took a walk along a fence line north of town and came across a group of mule deer some 130 yards away on a hillside. I took a rest against the 20 mph winds driving snow and rain and planted a bullet squarely in the lungs of the largest of the does as she stood broadside. She bucked, trotted 10 or 12 yards and fell over, sliding downhill and leaving a visible blood trail in the grass. Upon arriving at the kill (had to cross a fence line) I saw that she was the biggest doe I had ever shot, without question. We estimate she went better than 150 pounds dressed. When I rolled her on her back to dress her out the blood poured out of the exit wound. The lungs were pulped. After field dressing her I took her to the rural butcher where I skinned her in preparation for the locker. The bullet made a pinky diameter hole going in and a thumb sized hole exiting with little to no meat damage.

I am very pleased with these bullets so far. I am off to South Dakota this week and will be taking the 7x57 along as one of my rifles. I hope to give it another test on whitetails.~Muir
    Not picking holes Muir but that seems like an awefull lot of powder for a 7x57 is it a missprint ?
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

I would like to see the 7mm casing one could put 145 grains of powder into! In this instance, "my favorite 145 grain loading of H-4831" I was referring to meant the same powder charge I use for my Speer 145 grain bullet, not 145 grains of powder. Sorry.~Muir

I would like to see the 7mm casing one could put 145 grains of powder into! In this instance, "my favorite 145 grain loading of H-4831" I was referring to meant the same powder charge I use for my Speer 145 grain bullet, not 145 grains of powder. Sorry.~Muir
    Thanks for clearing that one up I was going to thanks Muir makes perfect sense once explained.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................