Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed vs variable power scope?

Fixed vs variable power scope?

Fixed vs variable scope?

I have small dilemma which scope choose fixed power one (swaro,zaiss or s&b)6x42;8x56. or cheaper brand with variable power 3-12x50.Please give some advise.
    ATB
    Dawid

If it's for general stalking and you don't also want to drop foxes etc. out at a gazzillion metres, then I'd go for a fixed. I've a Swaro 2.2-9x42 on my .308 stalking rifle and I can't really remember a time when I've changed magnification. If I was buying again I'd get a fixed mag for that rifle.

Go for a fixed 6x42 swaro/s&b/meopta/zeiss. More than enough power for open hill, but not too much for close range woodland etc. Quality of image is far more important than magnification, and particularly in poor light (midday hind stalking, if yesterday was anything to go by) you want a bright image.

8x56 is a bigger heavier scope that cannot be mounted as low as the 6x42.

And with all the money you save from not buying a top of the range variable you can go stalking lots more and learn how to get within range!

I have both the Zeiss and Meopta and not a lot to choose between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Go for a fixed 6x42 swaro/s&b/meopta/zeiss. More than enough power for open hill, but not too much for close range woodland etc. Quality of image is far more important than magnification, and particularly in poor light (midday hind stalking, if yesterday was anything to go by) you want a bright image.

8x56 is a bigger heavier scope that cannot be mounted as low as the 6x42.

And with all the money you save from not buying a top of the range variable you can go stalking lots more and learn how to get within range!

I have both the Zeiss and Meopta and not a lot to choose between them.
    Sound advice

I own a Zeiss Victory Varipoint 3-12x56 T* for a few weeks now, and I can tell you that: Best piece of kit I ever owned. A fix mag scope would do the job just as well, I think, but having the freedom to adjust the magnification as you need it is quite nifty...

Normally I'd adocate a variable power as it gives more advantages. However, if you have budget constraints, I'd get the best fixed power you can afford rather than a cheap variable. I'd choose an 8 x 56 over a 6 x 42 if you are shooting longer range stuff too.
    Worth looking at some of the mid-range priced variables though which will be similar priced to a top range fixed but are still good scopes. Leupold, Meopta, Minox, Nikon, Docter are all good makes which won't break the bank.
    MS

Being that you are in Scotland and thus might be on the open hill (esp hinds) I would go for the quality at 8x56, Hungarian S&B represent the best value in that bracket for me.
    Nick

either a fixed 8 or a 3-12 scope is ideal for 308 but the deciding factor is if you are likely to be stalking in woodland situations where the deer can appear very close or rather out on the hill where you control the distance of the shot better. The variable lets you zoom back or reach out which can be handy but is not that important.

Zeiss or S&B are your big name winners but a top end Leupold or bushnell elite is optically fantastic at half the price.

Hi

I have been using 8x56 Swarovski for a good number of year's now and would never change it.
    Have shot Deer and Foxes as close as 30yard's to 200yard's with no problem's with the 8x56.
    Have had it on .243/270 and now .223.
    And have tried a lot of scopes in the past, but the Swarovski comes out on top's in my opinion.

Regard's Wullie.
    Last edited by black lab; 15-11-2011 at 14:29. Reason: added on
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

Hi,
    The 8x56 is not to big for bigger calibres like 308?
    Cheers
    Dawid