Fixed vs variable power scope?

Roch

Fixed vs variable scope?

I have small dilemma which scope choose fixed power one (swaro,zaiss or s&b)6x42;8x56. or cheaper brand with variable power 3-12x50.Please give some advise.
ATB
Dawid

I own a Zeiss Victory Varipoint 3-12x56 T* for a few weeks now, and I can tell you that: Best piece of kit I ever owned. A fix mag scope would do the job just as well, I think, but having the freedom to adjust the magnification as you need it is quite nifty...

This is not a popular view and I am happy for all and sundry to disagree with me, but I would suggest identifying what magnification is appropriate for your purposes and then buying the best scope you can afford with those specifications. I have been running a fixed 6x Swarovski on my main stalking rifle for a couple of years and on a number of occasions I have found myself requiring lower magnification. I am now looking to sell it and replace it with the best quality variable I can afford, which I doubt very much will be European.

I would add, and again this is not a popular view, that Japanese and Philippine scopes are nowhere near as inferior as their price tags would suggest.

Fixed vs variable scope?

I have small dilemma which scope choose fixed power one (swaro,zaiss or s&b)6x42;8x56. or cheaper brand with variable power 3-12x50.Please give some advise.
ATB
Dawid

Well, if it helps... I've shot with a swarovski 6x42 on my main deer rifle for 20 years now and it is still as good as it ever was... and I've never felt that I could have had any more deer or shot any better with different glass.

Then, just to challenge my own logic, I fitted a 3-9 Power on my other deer rifle and it's pretty good too. Does it really offer anything of an advantage at normal shooting distances? ... I think it probably doesn't.

If money's tight fit the fixed power and go stalking, would be my advice.

The area I hunt in is built for variable scopes. You can have shots from 20 yards to 350 yards in a half mile stroll. I have many variables but usually relegate them to varmint rifles. I have found that the cheaper the variable, the less apt it is to hold it's zero as you go up or down the magnification range. It's usually not awful, but there seems to be a rotational shift around the point of aim: or impact, as the case may be. If you are going to get a variable make is the best you can afford. Otherwise, I'd stick with a fixed power. I know this will seem silly to you folks but the ones I favor are in the 2.5X to 4X category as they are the easiest for me to handle from the off hand position.~Muir

Last edited:
The area I hunt in is built for variable scopes. You can have shots from 20 yards to 350 yards in a half mile stroll. I have many variables but usually relegate them to varmint rifles.~Muir

Same here, my foxer has 4.5-14x50 on it... for shots out to... 350yds:D

Ive got a swaro 8x56 on my .243 and love it. Does everything i need it to including crows at 300 yds. Its been said before but if you can, try before you buy. What suits someone else may not be for you.

If we are talking about S&B, can anyone tell me if there is a difference in quality between Hungarian and German S&B.
Cheers,
Dawid

As to the topic I think you can never have to much choice when it comes to mag one of the lad I shoot with as got a 50 mag s&b on his rifle and tho it's big and heavy it is clear as a bell on any mag

Paul

S&P precision hunter has 50 mm objective, 4-16 mag range . My opinion is to get a variable as zeroing is handy with more mag and you can choose what mag to use for whatever discipline you do afterward. plus your eyes get worse with age as mine did and extra mag is very handy!

Yes Yogi i know the precision hunter has a 50mm objective, i have one .
Cotton tail said his mate had a 50x ! wondered what it was.

I find the variables an expensive option, as most dont get moved much, i only use full mag for spotting on a range, But the price difference between that and a fixed mag is huge ! And IMO is not worth the cost.

At £2500 for that scope its hardly fair to compair it to a fixed power scope? Not on the S&B website though is it discontinued ?

I was told that the difference between the s&b hungarian and german scopesis the cost of assembly , obviously the cost of wages per hour in hungary is far cheaper than germany. But there is no differance in quality. I have a schmidt 8x56 hungarian and you can really tell the difference between that and a cheap scope as the light begins to fade. I was in a similar predicament , I could afford a fixed power quality scope but a variable power. So I opted for the fixed power schmidt and to be honest it does everything I need at the moment I reagulary shoot foxes out to 250-300 yards with a lamp and most of my stalking is out to 250ish yards.

At £2500 for that scope its hardly fair to compair it to a fixed power scope? Not on the S&B website though is it discontinued ?

I was only saying how clear it was and I would never use it for stalking it's just horses for courses and it suits my mate for long range vermin shooting

Paul

i have a meopta 7x50 on 6.5x55 it has the rangefinder reticle and it was secondhand from my local gun shop its absoulutley bob on and hasnt missed a beat, its been on 3 rifles and is still going strong, i also have a pecar 8x56 on my foxing rifle and thats just the same got it second hand from york guns and the optics are cristal only down side is 26mm tube so had to buy best mount and machined them on the machine centre at work but i wouldnt swap it for anything..
meopta are good just as good as s and b and the pecars are tip top
pay your money take your choice really...
same with binos i went to york guns with the intention of buying swaros liked them but the guy from leopold was in and showed me the tactical 10x50 with the mil dot retical just as good as the swaros and less than half the money
just some points that worked for me
cheers
scout

My .223 carries a 2.5 x 16x 50mm 6500 elite in 30mm tube - gotta say its a decent bit of kit for close or 2-300 yds cannot fault it, it has a good pick up in half light for the price if you look around 540 squidlies ain't half bad on glass it has a mil dot ret which makes it even easier.

just about get a fixed scope for that price, I have found the scope invaluable and have heard no bad reports on it

Back