Tracking Results

barongcw

Rudi van Kets, known to participants of the advanced dogs for deer course of the NGO, just send me the results of his tracking group. www.vlaamsezweethondengroep.be. for the year 2010.

The Group has just under 30 members and operate in the Flemish speaking part of Belgium.

% of animals found 74%. Total searches 153. This excludes control searches.

64% roe, 29% wild boar. The remainder red deer and fox.

36 % of the tracks less than 100 meters, 72% less than 500 meters. 5% more than 3000 meters.

50% were tracked within 4 hours, 28% between 4-12 hours, 16% between 12-24 hours and 5% after 24 hours.

3067 KG of gamemeat was saved.

Nature of the wounds

Front leg, found 73%
Hind Leg, found 70%
Stomach, found 95%
Heart, found 97%
Krelshot (top of back), found 29%
Head, only 1 animal that was not found
No blood, found 17%

These are really interesting stats. I am intrigued by the no blood with only 17% being found. Do you think this could be attributed to the majority of no blood cases being missed animals? Also, do you think that if there is no blood and only 17% are found, do you think we should concentrate more on how the HS are trained, i.e. track a live animal? Just some thoughts to maybe spark discussion.Tom

Also, do you think that if there is no blood and only 17% are found, do you think we should concentrate more on how the HS are trained, i.e. track a live animal? Just some thoughts to maybe spark discussion.Tom

I thought that was the forte of the HS breed and already incorporated into the traditional (German) methods of training them?

I'd also think that the 17% recovery of animals where no blood was found would be more to do with animals with missed or grazing shots being 'claimed' by shooters though.

Interesting figure on 3067kg of gamemeat recovered though - I wouldn't have thought to include that one in the stats, although it could assist to make a good case for a tracking register.

Last edited:
It could be missed animals but the stats also have a category "control searches" so I guess the animal has been wounded alright. Could be a scraping shot so that they found only hair. That is why having a a hairbook is vital, you can determine where the shot was placed.

But no doubt teaching a hound to track without blood is more difficult. To track live unwounded deer is also vastly time consuming unless you track in Richmond park or suchlike.

You can however practise with the tracking shoe, first a combination of 100 yards blood than 50 yards no blood than blood again and when the hound is more experienced no blood at all.

If you practise on these most difficult tracks an easy track becomes a doddle whilst if you do too many easy searches your hound gets spoiled and the one or may be two difficult ones you might get in a year will not be succesfull. I always suggest that once the hound has done some easy finds he should be put through a difficult track with the shoe to keep him on his toes.

It is the forte of the HS in Germany, I was talking more for the UK based tracking dog fraternity.Baron, just on the KBGS, I contacted Herr Buccholz and I am now in the process of getting a letter from me and another from my General Secretary translated so hopefully get those sent of in the next couple of days! Thanks for all the advice

It is the forte of the HS in Germany, I was talking more for the UK based tracking dog fraternity.Baron, just on the KBGS, I contacted Herr Buccholz and I am now in the process of getting a letter from me and another from my General Secretary translated so hopefully get those sent of in the next couple of days! Thanks for all the advice

His name is Buchholz. Good luck. Fingers crossed.

Rudi send me some more figures and facts:

Animals not found in 2008 48%, in 2009 39% and in 2010 27%.

He attributes the improved results on more rigorous training of both dogs and handlers. Both parties have to pass an exam before they are admitted to the group.

The training more and more focusses on training for the most difficult tracks.

Back