Thread: scope for .308

scope for .308

im after a new scope for my .308 its got a 6-24 tasco on it at the moment which is pants. ive got a 3-12x56mm zeiss on my .223 which is great but id like a little more magnification on the .308 but cant afford the big mag zeiss or schmidt offerings so im thinking either a decent second hand nightforce nxs 8-32 or maybe a new sightron 8-32 it will be used for stalking mainly but with a bit of foxing and range use too. anyone got any other suggestions or opinions on the scopes i have mentioned?

8X50 or 8X56 Swarovski... available for 500ish used....

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    8X50 or 8X56 Swarovski... available for 500ish used....
    Thanks for the reply but I'm after higher mag

Why not just swap the scopes over? The inferior glass on the tasco will be fine on the 222 under a lamp leaving the superior zeiss for stalking with the 308

ATb Steve

Second hand Doctor or maybe a Zeiss conquest from the US? On a budget and after decent mag, I'd go with the Zeiss conquest. Unless you can find a proper european variable cheaply somewhere, check the classifieds and eBay.

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

What about a mid range scope.......Ive just bought a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, that seems a very good scope for the money. Stevienicknacks has the same scope for sale at about 350 ish. Brand new in the box, I bought one off him, very pleased, that will be going on the 223 or the HMR, Ive got a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 on the 243, which was previously Steves (Bordersman).
    Personally I would have a decent fixed mag scope on the stalking rifle, and whatever else on the other rifle used for lamping, and save up to buy something decent.

Thanks for the help guys, I need more than 12 mag really otherwise the zeiss would have been ideal. Think I will just have to take the plunge on a nightforce and see how I get on, trying to make one scope do two jobs is never ideal but hopefully I will find a good compromise

Quote Originally Posted by jay222 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I need more than 12 mag really otherwise the zeiss would have been ideal. Think I will just have to take the plunge on a nightforce and see how I get on, trying to make one scope do two jobs is never ideal but hopefully I will find a good compromise
    You say you are going to use the rifle for stalking mainly, with a bit of foxing and range work. Then why purchase a scope that is more akin to range work than stalking?

I have never used a NF scope but several of my mates have them and use them alongside the German/Austrian alternatives. Not one of them says the NF is as good in low light. Very good scopes, but they are made for certain applications and I think are a wee bit of a compromise in others.

You really should purchase a scope for the main application and make do in anything else, not the reverse surely?

There have been one or two Swarovski 6-24x50 up for sale on here and I use one myself on a 308. They seem to go for around 800-900 if you could stretch that far. I have had mine now for about 10years and rate it very highly. There is no question when compared to my mates NF it has the edge in low light, and he agrees...