Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the horns off a goat!

Getting the horns off a goat!

Ok so I have a goat that I have skinned and boiled to get the meat off the head, but I am struggling to get the damn horns off so I can clean inside them. Everyone says 'boil the head and the horns will just pull off!' Well they are not! I have tried to put them in a vice and twist but still they aren't coming off. Its the most infuriating trophy prep I have ever done and because I cannot really complete the skull by boiling in peroxide until the horns are off the skull is looking a little yellow. Help!!

You need to take a thin blade and work it around and under the base of each horn to break the seal, then work each horn loose. Sometimes a tap with a mallet works, other times a couple of days wrapped in a poly bag works (allowing the skull to sweat a bit ) They will eventually come loose, then re-boil the skull in a deep pan covering both the skull and the horn cores. Wash the horns well, then dry. Once thoroughly dry, put back onto the now cleaned and bleached skull.

Lakey

When I've shot other horned animals I've put the horns into boiling water for several hours ( a friend reckons one of his ibex took 48 hrs) and they will come loose. You shouldn't be able to over boil this bit, so don't worry if it's taking a while.

Well thanks lads i never even new you had to do this with Goats horns !! Thanks

simmer for a few hours then seal them in a bin liner and sweat, can take upto 3/4 weeks

Give them a good boil in deep water for a few hours! They should come of with a little persuasion!

How do you clean the inside of the horns?

Ok, horns off, my pots just arent big enough to boil the horns so I put the skull and horns in cold water out in the shed and let them soak. After 6 days horn 1 came off with a little twisting every day. On day 10 horn number 2 came off with the same sort of twisting. I then cut the cores down and boiled the whole skull in peroxide and now its lovely and white!

My next question is, how do you clean the insides of the horns? Obviously putting bleach inside them would get rid of the colour and boiling them is not an option. Peroxide would bleach the colour so what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Ok, horns off, my pots just arent big enough to boil the horns so I put the skull and horns in cold water out in the shed and let them soak. After 6 days horn 1 came off with a little twisting every day. On day 10 horn number 2 came off with the same sort of twisting. I then cut the cores down and boiled the whole skull in peroxide and now its lovely and white!

My next question is, how do you clean the insides of the horns? Obviously putting bleach inside them would get rid of the colour and boiling them is not an option. Peroxide would bleach the colour so what do you do?
    Blast them off inside with a pressure washer. I wind them up in an old worlmate and pop the jet of water inside, them wrinse them out INSIDE ONLY with a weak solution of bleach, then leave in nice airey place to dry, if you get a bit of mould forming around the bases wipe off as it formes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    if you get a bit of mould forming around the bases wipe off as it formes.
    You let them dry off the skull? Or on the skull? Presumably off so they get a chance to dry completely. My only worry is if they shrink off the skull they may not go on properly.....

They shrink if you leave them on the skull as the core will dry out. If you leave them off they don't shrink.
    Well thats the case with the horned animals i've shot.