Thread: Game pie

SD Regular

Game pie

Its our turn for the rabble at xmas and after looking in the freezer there seems a good recipe for a game pie , venison , hare , rabbit , pigeon and a couple of pheasant , Can any one sugest how i go about it and more to the point any thing else to add . one old boy sugested ox tongue peeled then sliced .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Dont use tongue , ya never know when youve finished it

Red face

I would not eat anything that came out of an animals mouth try boiled eggs instead.

I'll get head office to give me her recipe for you...........she cooks for 1200kids every day and none of them have dropped dead ...............yet!
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    Its our turn for the rabble at xmas and after looking in the freezer there seems a good recipe for a game pie , venison , hare , rabbit , pigeon and a couple of pheasant , Can any one sugest how i go about it and more to the point any thing else to add . one old boy sugested ox tongue peeled then sliced .
    Personally i think the most important thing is fresh veg. Turnip, swede, leaks, carrots, fine beans etc cooked so they still have a little crunchiness to them and use the same water to make your gravy. Keep the meat cubes about the same size and include a selection of herbs. A 50/50 mix of meat and veg works for me. Pastry making is an art so shop bought is ok but the type you use is a matter of choice.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I like hot game pies. I tend to make large quantities in a jelly pan (about 3 gallons), portion it out into freezer bags to fill the pie dish size you require and freeze it down. Although obviously you will want to eat some when you make it. When you make it make sure the gravy is thick as it thins in the oven when the pastry is cooking. I use about 2/3rds mixed game & venison - white and dark meat, and use a mix of stewing beef and ham or bacon for the remaining 1/3 meat. Of that final third meat I use more beef than ham - up to 2/3 beef. If you have got them and or room add in large bones from game, beef or ham or ham skin to make the mixture thick with natural gelatine. Remove these latter items before you portion it out or serve it! You can add in mushrooms as well to taste as well but I refrain from adding other veg except diced onion to flavour the oil before frying the diced game and meat for colour and flavour. Add water and seasoning to taste, bring to boil and simmer for a couple of hours until tender. The flavours meld together and to me it tastes wonderful and you have a good supply of almost instant ready meals in the freezer.

Bob