Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading - ideas for working up a load.

New to reloading - ideas for working up a load.

Hi,

I have a Parker Hale Scout in .308 and want to work up a load for it. So far it shoots about 1.125" with sako 123g; about the same with privi 150g, slightly tighter with 150g winchester and for some reason under 1" with some russian steel case fmj rounds 145g (6.90 per box)?

I'd ideally like to work up both a deer and a fox round.

I'm new to reloading so any advice on working up a load is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I am constrained to 150g bullets (hornady sp) - buy 100 hold 160 on fac; unless there are any bright ideas for buying more bullets in smaller quantities for load development.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

OSS

All bullets that are the least bit suitable for your weapon can be made to shoot reasonably well so there is no harm in buying 100 at a crack. If you don't have a manual yet, pick up Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading" and READ it. Even is unabashed plugs for his own equipment. There is a huge amount of good info in that book. More than some people realize.~Muir

Ok although not mentioned in Hornady's 7th Edition I have found that the Hodgdons H335, H380 and BLC-2 powders to work well in the .308 and it seems Speer in their #14 manual concur. Speer don't list the H380 and they got the best velocity from H335 out of the two (H335 and BLC-2). Please be aware that muzzle flash can be more noticeable with ball powders especially at dusk and first light.

Now the reason that your Scout 1300S rifle likes the milspec ammo is probably because it was aimed squarely at the Practical Rifle crowd who would have been likely using such ammunition.

Hodgdons #26 manual gives this for those powders with 150 grain bullets:-

H-335 start = 42.0 Grn max = 45.0 Grn

BLC-2 start = 45.5 Grn Max = 49.5 Grn

H380 start = 47.0 Grn Max = 51.0 Grn

Interestingly Hodgdons obtained better velocity with the H380 in fact it gave them the highest velocity with the 150 grain bullet. Ahhhh I see in Hodgdons 2009 Rifle data booklet they give these witht eh Nosler Ballistic Tip:-

H-335 start = 41.0 Grn max = 44.0 Grn

BLC-2 start = 45.0 Grn Max = 48.0 Grn

and they don't list H380 ........................... Hmmmmmmm

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Muir: Lee's modern reloading arrived in the post this morning.
    I shall wade through it over the next few days

Brithunter: I was working off H4895 as my first power? Am I better trying the ball powders? The scout is a short barrel (18") and I seem to get a bit of flash with the sako even with the pes lmc on? ((dusk)

Best
    O

Your first consideration needs to be "continuity of supply." There is no point working up a load with components that you can't get a regular supply of. So in the first instance ensure that you can get the components before you put too much time into a load.

I use the 150g Hornady Spire Points in my 308 and they get a good reputation for accuracy, probably 2nd only to Sierra for deer legal and non-premuim bullets, and certainly shoot well for me. I have also found that the Spire Points like really high velocity from my rifle and with a book max load they are leaving me at 3000fps so you should see decent performance from them if your experience is anything like mine. Needless to say you should always work up carefully to a book max load. Any deer I've shot with them have died fairly rapidly and I've never recovered one with shots from 20 yards to 220 yards.

I also worked up a load with the 110g V-Max that would be ideal for fox. I didn't attempt to get good velocity as it was sort of a plinking/test type load for me but I certainly found the V-MAX very accurate no matter what the powder charge behind it was. If you want to stick with just one bullet then I'm sure the Spire Point would also do the job on foxes.

It may be worth talking to your local police about increasing your holding to allow you to test several types of bullet and to keep a few boxes in stock.

I'm using Reloader 15 so my actual loads are no use to you.

Established Poster
    If you already have H4895 it's one of the top powders for the .308 I load 43.6 grains with a 150 and 155 bullets
    it's a nice mild load to start with, max is 45.5 grains with the Hornady 150 SP just crimp it in the cannelure and
    you have the overall cartridge length of 2.80", To develop the load increase the powder charge .5 grain a time until you reach maximum some where along the way you will find a good load then you can tweak the powder a few tenths of a grain up and down until the best charge is found, I only load 3 rounds of each until I find the best load then do the final tests with 5 shots, if you want to get real serious you can tweak the seating depth as well, depends on how long a cartridge will fit in the magazine. Robert.

Buy as many bullets as you like! it's only complete rounds that count towards your total of 160 holding.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    Buy as many bullets as you like! it's only complete rounds that count towards your total of 160 holding.
    Not in Lincolnshire....... and I understand other counties see it the same.. It's a huge bone of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by OSS32 View Post
    Thanks,

Muir: Lee's modern reloading arrived in the post this morning.
    I shall wade through it over the next few days

Brithunter: I was working off H4895 as my first power? Am I better trying the ball powders? The scout is a short barrel (18") and I seem to get a bit of flash with the sako even with the pes lmc on? ((dusk)

Best
    O
    Olin who developed the .308 used ball powders. Now I have used H4895 in the past, seems the last time was back in 98, Reloader 15 was my staple powder until it got difficult to get I then switched to BLC-2 and H335.

The point of continued reliable supply is a very good one.

Now I switched to using H380 in my CF2 Stutzen which is a .270 because it has a 20" barrel and using this slightly faster powder rather than say Reloader 19 or H4381 gave less fireball at the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    According to the the guidance to police, they do count towards your allocation.