Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 vs Sauer 202 classic

Sako 85 vs Sauer 202 classic

Sako 85 vs Sauer 202 classic
    Hello what you can say about those two rifles. The cheapest Sauer cost about the same like Sako. But I heard that the wooden stock on the cheapest 202 is not very good quality. I would be interested to hear opinions from lucky owners of those two rifles.
    Cheers,
    Dawid

Personal Prejudice I am afraid, but I would go Sako anything over a Sauer as the closest I have ever come to being shot was with an ND with a Sauer202. I have had a 'thing' about that push up "Safety" in front of the trigger guard ever since. The once proud owner sold it to a dealer the following day.

and , yes I know that Sauer Owners love them, and it was an ND, but 150 Gn NBT going past your ear from 3 metres way kind of gets your attention.

Thats that over, and I am sure Others can be more constructive in their advice.

What were you doing standing 3m from a loaded rifle? I have two 202's and cannot fault them but i hear most folk that buy a 85 find a good 75 to be a better rifle due to the floorplate magazine on the 85 being crap. Sauer 202's are in my opinion a better made rifle and the safety is silent and the stock to metal fit is second to none.

In my book, standard controls trump rifle quality every day. When the pressure is on, pushing the safety catch forward with your thumb is what you want to do, whether it's a rifle or shotgun.

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    What were you doing standing 3m from a loaded rifle? I have two 202's and cannot fault them but i hear most folk that buy a 85 find a good 75 to be a better rifle due to the floorplate magazine on the 85 being crap. Sauer 202's are in my opinion a better made rifle and the safety is silent and the stock to metal fit is second to none.
    Dare I say that an 'experienced' guest rifle made a totally unsafe manoeuvre...... ? Just another of the reasons that I don't like taking Guests out anymore. Unfortunately when a paying guest is out, one has to be within 3 metres or closer..... just goes to show that even 3 metres behind is not safe. Needless to say I am somewhat fanatical about muzzle awareness.

As I said, its a personal prejudice, and I am well aware that Sauer owners love them. End of.

I have two Sauer 202s - one in .308, the other in .22-250. I love 'em to bits. The safety is only an issue if you aren't familiar with it. Indeed, IMHO the fact that you can ease it off moments before you take your shot - without having to move your thumb, is a great asset. Would I buy another? You bet - indeed, I'm on the lookout for a s/h .222 or .223 so that I can build myself a third Sauer in .204R.

I have a 202, and had another previously. They are great. Slick bolt, stock comes off and gun collapses down nice and compact.

Ref the safety, I fail to see how one could discharge the trigger whilst taking off the safety unless wearing gloves and doing it too hastily. It is placed perfectly to just push it up a touch before putting your finger back on the trigger for the shot.

Then exchangeable barrel in sauer 202 is no use?If you add all the costs of new barrel, bolt an magazine you will end up to pay 1000 and for this amount of money you can buy second rifle.
    Dawid
    Last edited by Roch; 17-11-2011 at 07:59.

A guy i know who owns a 75 shot a fox with my Sauer 202 out to 300y and he sold the 75 that week. He commented how smooth it was and lacked muzzle flip that made him blink on the Sako.