Sako 85 vs Sauer 202 classic

Roch

Sako 85 vs Sauer 202 classic
Hello what you can say about those two rifles. The cheapest Sauer cost about the same like Sako. But I heard that the wooden stock on the cheapest 202 is not very good quality. I would be interested to hear opinions from lucky owners of those two rifles.
Cheers,
Dawid

Personal Prejudice I am afraid, but I would go Sako anything over a Sauer as the closest I have ever come to being shot was with an ND with a Sauer202. I have had a 'thing' about that push up "Safety" in front of the trigger guard ever since. The once proud owner sold it to a dealer the following day.

and , yes I know that Sauer Owners love them, and it was an ND, but 150 Gn NBT going past your ear from 3 metres way kind of gets your attention.

Thats that over, and I am sure Others can be more constructive in their advice.

What were you doing standing 3m from a loaded rifle? I have two 202's and cannot fault them but i hear most folk that buy a 85 find a good 75 to be a better rifle due to the floorplate magazine on the 85 being crap. Sauer 202's are in my opinion a better made rifle and the safety is silent and the stock to metal fit is second to none.

In my book, standard controls trump rifle quality every day. When the pressure is on, pushing the safety catch forward with your thumb is what you want to do, whether it's a rifle or shotgun.

Regards JCS

What were you doing standing 3m from a loaded rifle? I have two 202's and cannot fault them but i hear most folk that buy a 85 find a good 75 to be a better rifle due to the floorplate magazine on the 85 being crap. Sauer 202's are in my opinion a better made rifle and the safety is silent and the stock to metal fit is second to none.

Dare I say that an 'experienced' guest rifle made a totally unsafe manoeuvre...... ? Just another of the reasons that I don't like taking Guests out anymore. Unfortunately when a paying guest is out, one has to be within 3 metres or closer..... just goes to show that even 3 metres behind is not safe. Needless to say I am somewhat fanatical about muzzle awareness.

As I said, its a personal prejudice, and I am well aware that Sauer owners love them. End of.

I have two Sauer 202s - one in .308, the other in .22-250. I love 'em to bits. The safety is only an issue if you aren't familiar with it. Indeed, IMHO the fact that you can ease it off moments before you take your shot - without having to move your thumb, is a great asset. Would I buy another? You bet - indeed, I'm on the lookout for a s/h .222 or .223 so that I can build myself a third Sauer in .204R. :)

I have a 202, and had another previously. They are great. Slick bolt, stock comes off and gun collapses down nice and compact.

Ref the safety, I fail to see how one could discharge the trigger whilst taking off the safety unless wearing gloves and doing it too hastily. It is placed perfectly to just push it up a touch before putting your finger back on the trigger for the shot.

Then exchangeable barrel in sauer 202 is no use?If you add all the costs of new barrel, bolt an magazine you will end up to pay £1000 and for this amount of money you can buy second rifle.
Dawid

Last edited:
A guy i know who owns a 75 shot a fox with my Sauer 202 out to 300y and he sold the 75 that week. He commented how smooth it was and lacked muzzle flip that made him blink on the Sako.

I used to stalk with a chap who had a thing about Ruger No1's after a "client" with one put a bullet throught the flap the chaps jacket.. That is a close shave. However as I pointed out blaming the rifle for sloppy or poor gun handling is not the way forwards. no mechanical safety will replace the one between the ears.

How do people get in situations like that. When I am with clients they get the rifle when it is time for a shot. Once the shot has been taken I take the rifle back off them. I really don't understand how the guide puts himself in a situation where the client is pointing a loaded gun at them or anyone else.

Does everyone else let the clients carry the rifle? I am interested to know?

How do people get in situations like that. When I am with clients they get the rifle when it is time for a shot. Once the shot has been taken I take the rifle back off them. I really don't understand how the guide puts himself in a situation where the client is pointing a loaded gun at them or anyone else.

Does everyone else let the clients carry the rifle? I am interested to know?

I have never had anyone carry my rifle on a booked stalk .............................. never. I have also never to my knowledge un-nerved a stalker with my gun handling or safety. I am sure they would have brought it to my attention if I had lapsed.

Brit is that because they have not offered or you won't give your rifle up? HeheWhen I guide I walk infront of the guest, I would never in a million years walk infront of someone I had only just met with a loaded rifle. That just strikes me as an accident waiting to happen.

Brit is that because they have not offered or you won't give your rifle up? HeheWhen I guide I walk infront of the guest, I would never in a million years walk infront of someone I had only just met with a loaded rifle. That just strikes me as an accident waiting to happen.

Ahhh actually have never been asked to "give up my rifle" as you put it. One stalker did say once you don't need to chamber a round until we get closer although that was so many years ago I cannot recall which stalker it was now. I tend to find someone I am comfortable with and stick with them.

I have been known to ask shall I chamber a round after loading the magazine especially when stalking with someone new. I usually sort out the drill and procedure before even meeting them by e-mail or on the phone that way the bases are covered. I suppose being a qualified RCO helped a bit with safety and gun handling plus the old experience in Practical Pistol and Shotgun in the past although with the move etc I let the RCO certificate lapse so it's now out of date.

Sadly two stalkers I used a lot in the past have both passed with cancer. Both were quite a bit older than me and I am no longer a spring chicken :cry:.

How about a general statement on preferred method (s) to help eradicate accidents I guess everybody has there own way - every day is a learning day

I've got both, but the 202 has the advantage of swopping barrels, which I do and can resight with two shots either way as I note the turret settings for both barrels, you can pick up barrels from people on here for £350, THE SAKO STAYS THE SAME, THE SAUER IS MORE PRACTICLE FOR ME, its a personal thing, you can only pass comment if you've owned and used both extensively. deerwarden

Again i've had them both, the 85 in my opinion is the better rifle. Very accurate, light enough to carry all day and feels good in your hands. The 202 i found heavy, didn't like the saftey inside the trigger guard. Mine was ammo fussy, wouldn't chamber RWS where as the 85 will shoot with anything you feed it
Al

Back