Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 and DSC2

DSC1 and DSC2

Does having DSC1 And DSC2 make you a better stalker? Is it necessary?
    I put it to you that as a stalker with almost 30 years experience I learned my trade by experience from stalkers that have passed on knowledge.

wont knock dsc 1or 2 but in my humble opinion and personal experience having an experienced stalker show you the ropes step by step has been invaluble for me and made a good mate doing it ....bit like an apprenticeship really . hope i can do the same

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    You can be the best stalker going, but if the Deer don't show, they don't show. Will it increase your knowledge? With out a shadow of a doubt. You will never know everything, but you can allways learn more and by doing one or both, you will. Is it the future, I very much suspect so.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    .... Will it increase your knowledge? With out a shadow of a doubt. You will never know everything, but you can always learn more and by doing one or both, you will. Is it the future, I very much suspect so.TJ
    TJ. I agree. Clearly my Dad thought the same thing when he did his DSC1/2 in his late 70's after nearly 60 years of stalking. Regards JCS

I passed my dsc1 last weekend, i dident have to take it because i already have a rifle and to be honest i really worried about being in a classroom having to learn again at my age. But the weekend went really well, i met lots of like minded guys and some like me were old farts but we got though the course and im glad i took the time to do it. I have been very lucky that a couple of guys from this site have taken me out, and i have learnt quite alot from them. So will the dsc1 make me a better stalker maybe not, but its increased my hunger for learning
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    I passed my dsc1 last weekend, i dident have to take it because i already have a rifle and to be honest i really worried about being in a classroom having to learn again at my age. But the weekend went really well, i met lots of like minded guys and some like me were old farts but we got though the course and im glad i took the time to do it. I have been very lucky that a couple of guys from this site have taken me out, and i have learnt quite alot from them. So will the dsc1 make me a better stalker maybe not, but its increased my hunger for learning
    hope you don't mean me by that remark

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mate
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

I would say that a combination of the two Is the Ideal situation, I started with dsc1, started stalking, dsc2...The time spent with an experienced stalker / AW (You know who you are) was/ Is Invaluable...No classroom talk can show you how to track a bloodtrail In the woods, In fading light!...Getting out and doing It armed with the training helps things fall into place...IMO

I did my meat hygiene course first, as I was passing on a lot of bunnies from the pest control and thought I had better make sure I was not doing anything wrong.

I was always doing some deer control but only as part of the pest control functions, but as I got asked to do more deer control I thought I should complete my DSC1. It's always nice to have some sort of written recognition for your achievements.
    I read all I could, watch the same DVD on deer a hundred or so times, then passed the course without any problems.

It was only after passing the DSC1 that I started to learn what I was doing, lets say it opened a few doors.

Always wanting to improve myself I decided on taking my DSC2.

Considering I have been controlling rabbits and other pests since I was a small boy I thought I knew a little.

On my first ICR weekend away stalking I learnt about elements I had never even considered and the actual stalking was only a small part of what we did.

The experience of a good stalker is invaluable, but the classroom also has its part, just go in with an open mind on both.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by T.A.S Nitro View Post
    Does having DSC1 And DSC2 make you a better stalker? Is it necessary?
    I put it to you that as a stalker with almost 30 years experience I learned my trade by experience from stalkers that have passed on knowledge.
    IMHO the courses are not designed to make you a better stalker, they are designed to increase your knowledge. There is, of course, no substitute for "hands-on" experience, but the courses seek to ensure you have an awareness of deer, deer welfare and deer management, as well as understanding the requirements for putting deer into the human food chain.

If you set your expectations accordingly, you will enjoy the course.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!