Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: professional load development - what to expect

  1. #1

    professional load development - what to expect

    one for the pro's or people that have had it done...

    a friend recently had load development done by a pro rifle builder (i wont name and shame so dont ask), but what he was given was IMO not was he had paid for. not sure of the cost but in the region of 250 - 300 i guess, what do you guys think he should be given for the money..

    i would expect some detail, different bullet types/weights explored, different powders explored, differnt COL's explored, test targets as proof and for future reference .... do we think just a .010 off measured round, one bullet, one power type, a few random weights etc.. there you go mate, theres your load, off you go... is that really what you would expect?

    what do you guys provide or what would you expect - perhaps i expect too much? i could have done what was delivered in a hour or two...

    many thanks

  2. #2
    Gary without knowing what said friend asked for it's hard to say he didn't get what he asked for.

    If I was going that route I would stipulate what I expected. It would be laid down in writing after discussing it with the custom loader and agreed with them on what was expected. Then both parties know where they stand and what is expected.

  3. #3
    Depends really what your mate asked for Gary I do quite a bit for other people and load for their requirements ie they give a few ideas of what they are looking for I throw a few suggestions into the mix and we go from there, I will provide basically what they are looking for no more no less.
    Pretty much along the same lines as Brit says but he obviously types faster.
    Last edited by pierred; 17-11-2011 at 14:44.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

  4. #4
    Quite a few blokes I know have had loads developed. Form seems to be :-

    You tell the guy what you want the load for and what you expect from it (speed, drop, accuracy etc.) Assuming what you want is realistic, the load guy will suggest a few bullet types and weights that could be suitable. You agree two or three options, usually with a preferred bullet, second choice, third choice etc. He goes off and works up the load. If he can get the preferred bullet to deliver what you want, the process is finished. If not, move on to the second or third choice.

    Many load developers can get pretty much get any reasonable choice of bullet for a particular rifle to perform well, so second and third choices are rare.


    Many loaders give details of the load (bullet type, powder and charge weight, primer, OAL etc.) in case you want to make them at home. If you are going to get the reloader to make the rounds up for you they may not give you the details. Many loaders also like to give you a signed target to demonstrate what the load will do.

    The load developer might not spend hours on it, but you're paying for his knowledge and experience of what combinations of components are likely to work well in your rifle.

    As for price, that's up to you, but if it doesn't take the guy long its because he's good at his job.

    Cheers,

    Bob
    Last edited by Dovebob; 17-11-2011 at 14:31.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    one for the pro's or people that have had it done...

    a friend recently had load development done by a pro rifle builder (i wont name and shame so dont ask), but what he was given was IMO not was he had paid for. not sure of the cost but in the region of 250 - 300 i guess, what do you guys think he should be given for the money..

    i would expect some detail, different bullet types/weights explored, different powders explored, differnt COL's explored, test targets as proof and for future reference .... do we think just a .010 off measured round, one bullet, one power type, a few random weights etc.. there you go mate, theres your load, off you go... is that really what you would expect?

    what do you guys provide or what would you expect - perhaps i expect too much? i could have done what was delivered in a hour or two...

    many thanks
    How did the rifle shoot?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    How did the rifle shoot?
    That's the all important question as to weather the job was done correctly or not.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

  7. #7
    Another point to remember is customer pays for consumables, so once I get to an agreed point why go further unless instructed to do so as after that point I am just spending their hard earned with no justification for doing so.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

  8. #8
    If the punter was paying the guy to produce a load with a specified bullet, the absolute minimum I would think is that the guy should produce a test target with at least four examples of the group acheived to demonstrate consistency. Secondly he would need to supply the exact specification of the load to allow the customer to reproduce it at home if he loads himself.

    It would be nice to see the results with other loads the guy tried, OAL tests etc.

    I do this stuff for free all the time, just because I enjoy doing it.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pierred View Post
    That's the all important question as to weather the job was done correctly or not.
    rifle achieved its accuracy guarantee (.5 moa), nothing more and certainly nowhere near what its full potential should be. 3 batches of 5 rounds at same COL, best group picked and thats load development over! thats where i start the development. money old rope for..... glad i do mine myself.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    rifle achieved its accuracy guarantee (.5 moa), nothing more and certainly nowhere near what its full potential should be. 3 batches of 5 rounds at same COL, best group picked and thats load development over! thats where i start the development. money old rope for..... glad i do mine myself.
    Gary i`m sure with the time invested I or yourself could get this rifle to shoot a lot better, the question remains how much does your mate want to spend on the venture or is he happy with what he has, as he has paid this chap for load developement I tend to think its better than he could have got it himself.If he is genuinely not happy then he needs to go back to the smith and let him know then maybe an agreement can be made between them for either compensation or a job done to his satisfaction ( but this inevitably will cost him more as it would seem to be outside of the agreed contract of works from the limited info given )
    To some it may seem like money for old rope but ask your average plumber to re-wire a house or an electrician to fit a heating system and it all becomes apparent ( each to their own )
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Similar Threads

  1. 6.5x47 - load development
    By LONG RANGE CAPT in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18-01-2012, 08:10
  2. Giving up load development
    By Eyefor in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-06-2011, 10:46
  3. .308 load development DONE!! :-D
    By flyingfisherman in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 18:18
  4. Load development
    By DC .270 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-07-2010, 23:05
  5. Load development ?
    By MJR in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 20:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •