which .22 derivative.

jimbo123p

Just had my visit for shotgun renewal. While the visit I asked re swapping my .22lr for .22 deer calibre for fox control and roe. The one I mentioned was the 22.250. I asked for one for one. No problem, so which .22 cenre fire is best to aim for? Lot will depend on funds and selling the .22lr. Jim

I use a 223 and find its fine for fox and roe, with fairly cheap factory rounds and not to bad a weight even though it is a varmint rifle, however if i was doing it from scratch i would go for a .222 light as a feather and more than capable for both and cheap to buy.

Jim, the 22/250 definitely has more oomph than the 223, whether or not this is required is another question, you are burning about 40% more powder for about 12% more velocity. Still, I have a 22/250 and love it.

I might be inclined to go for a fast twist 223 just to be able to shoot heavier bullets, most 22/250 are 14 or 12 twist which has you maxed at a 60gr bullet.

Just to re inforce the above, I recently had a re barrel from Border, throated & twisted for 69 grain bullets in .223 Rem, enough thwack for anything!

Had a slot open on my ticket for a .223 for years but somehow it always got swapped for something else, never did get a .223 but I did get a .222 Remington :D If more bullet weight is need then it's time for a bigger bullet .................................................... Full stop :old:.

Had a slot open on my ticket for a .223 for years but somehow it always got swapped for something else, never did get a .223 but I did get a .222 Remington :D If more bullet weight is need then it's time for a bigger bullet .................................................... Full stop :old:.

What does that mean ?
Do you know you can match a barrel to a bullet and that you can get up to a 100 grain in 224 but a standard 1 in12 won't stablise them

Paul

What does that mean ?
Do you know you can match a barrel to a bullet and that you can get up to a 100 grain in 224 but a standard 1 in12 won't stablise them

Paul

Sorry thought it was simple. The .222 Remington will handle 55 grain bullets if I need more then it's time to switch to a bigger calibre. Of course I suppose one could go for much higher velocity and noise etc like the 220 Swift, .224 Weatherby of even the 22/250..

Had a 22/250 and it was great until Bisley banned it's use on the ranges so had to sell it :mad:.

Sorry thought it was simple. The .222 Remington will handle 55 grain bullets if I need more then it's time to switch to a bigger calibre. Of course I suppose one could go for much higher velocity and noise etc like the 220 Swift, .224 Weatherby of even the 22/250..

Had a 22/250 and it was great until Bisley banned it's use on the ranges so had to sell it :mad:.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that when I comes to finding a Cartrige to suit your rifle nothing is ever that easy
And with a heavier bullet the charge and velocity drops as I said you just need the right barrel twist to suit the bullet weight

Paul

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that when I comes to finding a Cartrige to suit your rifle nothing is ever that easy
And with a heavier bullet the charge and velocity drops as I said you just need the right barrel twist to suit the bullet weight

Paul

My old .222 Remington shoots 55 grain bullets quite comfortably it even likes the Sako Gamehead 55 grain loads which are enough for my needs with it.

22/250 with sako factory 55 grain gameheads. will be a cracking fox and small deer calibre

Back