Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for all the Pro Stalkers/Guides

A question for all the Pro Stalkers/Guides

Hi guys

This came up in another thread but I thought it was worthy of its own thread.

I am pretty new to guiding guests, and I love it.

In another thread it was mentioned that 2 people had had close calls with guests nearly shooting them both times due to a ND.

When I am guiding I lead the party and I carry the gun. This way there is no way the person behind me can shoot me by accident. They get the rifle to take the shot, once the shot has been taken I take the rifle back off them.

Another member of this forum said they have never had anyone carry their gun on a paid hunt.

So simply my question to you guys is how to do you guide.

Do you let the client take the lead?
    Do you let them carry the gun?
    Do you take the lead and carry the gun?

Interested to hear your responses.

Take the lead and carry the rifle usually, some guests will insist on carrying their own rifle if so I will always check the chamber is empty. You will get the odd funny look but it doesn't bother me. During the final few yards when a round has been chambered I will be in the lead with the rifle, not negotiable. I know a guy with two holes were there should only be one, and it aint happening to me!!

Why would you let the guest take the lead ?
    You would, of course carry the gun.
    When you get to the stalk, depending on the ground, you put a round in the chamber, you still carry the rifle, only when your sure you have a safe shot do you give the rifle to the guest.
    That's the way I've been doing it. I take the rife from the guest as early as possible and get it back as early as possible to protect him and me, possibly everyone else as well.

Ok thank you for confirming I am not mad.

K333Roe I would never let the guest take the lead. Same way I would never let one walk behind me with the rifle.

But the way this came up in another thread got me interested in what other people do which is why I asked the question.

I lead the way and they follow carring their rifle. Done it this way for years. Only time i will take the rifle is when we are crawlling in on our bellies.During the trip i am watching like a hawk and if i see anything i don't like they get told in no uncertain terms.
    Al

Sorry I should specify I am talking about Lowland/Woodland Stalking. I know you hill folk do things differently

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    Sorry I should specify I am talking about Lowland/Woodland Stalking. I know you hill folk do things differently
    That's a difficult one because if stalking in woodland for sika, and you carry the rifle empty, there will be very few deer shot if it has to be loaded and handed back to the guest.

If a crawl is needed, I have always asked the rifle to be emptied and shown as such to me before moving an inch.

I am a woodland stalker
    Al

I lead and let them carry their own rifle i also take my rifle in case a quick second shots required ! A lot depends on how experienced the client is

Jam prior to the crawl are they carrying a loaded gun behind you ?

375 same question to Jam?

Or do you guys only load up once the beasty is spotted?

Al Sorry