Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jays

jays

surely one of the most annoying pest ever when your out stalking .. soon as you hear that noise of a jay the whole area looks up to see whats on the prowl..

it does work both ways though whilst i was stalking in scotland jays gave away the roe moving through the woods i was stalking ,but i know what you mean they do make a bloody racket

I saw Jays on my two leases this yera for the first time, have never seen them so far North, must remember the shotgun!

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

jays and magpies
    pretty birds
    shoot on sight (even when carrying a 243!)

Unless you're in NI, in which case jays are a no-no at the moment.

You think Jays are bad, you should try stalking with 20 Ravens following you!
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    jays and magpies
    pretty birds
    shoot on sight (even when carrying a 243!)
    Do the jays you see alight on the ground with an adequate backstop? If so you're luckier than I am. Usually it's just a glimpse, and they're away.
    No real bother in the winter, and as they're uncommon I leave them alone. In fact I rather like seeing them around.

Magpies are another matter - much more obliging, and a lot easier. There are hordes of them around me, and they seem to have moved out of the countryside for easier pickings in the suburbs where it's safer.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Whilst I never pass up a chance of a shot at a magpie with a shotgun, they have alerted me many times to the presence of either deer or fox that I have not seen in cover, so at times they can be a useful ally. Don't see that many jays locally but certainly no shortage of magpies!!

I like all corvids, they are inquisitive, vastly intelligent birds. I always trap them with a twinge of regret. On the other hand I thoroughly enjoy stalking them with the rifle, even if it is a fairly inefficient method of keeping down the numbers. Much like Sinistral I like seeing jays about and at their current populations they don't cause me any bother in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    You think Jays are bad, you should try stalking with 20 Ravens following you!
    Al
    Ha Ha - Use to be a rarity, now seem as common as crows.