Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hmr load for Sako Quad

17 hmr load for Sako Quad

Having bit the bullet with regards to calibre and then rifle, can any one tell me what factory ammo a Sako Quad heavy barrel in 17hmr will like.

i am only interested in 150 - 200 yard corvid shooting, and don't intend to use on fox or rabbit, hence my decision on a hmr as i don't reload and cf would be too dear on these vermin.

Thanks.

Just about any!
    I think all .17hmr bullets are made by hornady.

I've tried several 'brands' in mine and they all perform identically (17gr)
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Just buy a selection and try them and see which suits your gun, as mentioned they are all made in the same factory but ( i believe) with slight different powder ( for each different manufacturer) .some have different results with different colour tips -sounds crazy but have to admit mine shoots better with Hornady red tips than the blue tips - and my RFD recently took the blue tips-certain batch number- out of sale as they were having a lot of issues with them.

When i first got my HMR i have to admit i was expecting miracles with regards to accuracy ( after believing all the hype) and whilst i am happy with it , i find the ammo is the weakest link, even to the degree that some batches shoot well , some dont. Still a great round for them 120+ crows though. A noisy and dirty round though
    cheers
    craig

The orange tips have replaced the blues as Hornady's cheapies. Mine can't tell the differance but didn't like Federal.

Jim

not wishing to disagree for the sake of it but you will find that some group better than others

dont even think about the 20gn or 17gn hollow point
    20gn groups very poorly in most guns and certainly does not come top of the list in my Quad
    17gn hollow point will pencil through crows at the ranges you talk about

17gn Vmax is likely to be the best grouping and most useful for your needs
    although at 200+yds you may find it lacks enough energy to shatter properly when hitting light targets like crows (1200-1300fps and 70ftlbs)

to be pedantic CCI make all HMR ammo

I find the CCI branded 17gn Vmax grouped better in my rifle than the Winchester (which incidentally had a lot of split cases in my batch ...2-3 out of 10)
    difference of inside 1" at 130yds and outside 1" at 130yds.

Hi when I had a 17 hmr I went thru lots of ammo makes and tho most are made by cci they are not the same I found the Hornady to shoot best in mine
    Although the new winchesters (made in the us) shot well and were much cleaner

Paul

I can only get Federal locally so that's what I use and I'm very happy with their performance

I thought it was CCI that made all the3 17hmr ammo as well. Just did a search and it is on the http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_ammo.htm site as well.

My Quad heavy barrel doesn't like the hollow points or the 20gr ammo but is happy with any of the others. It also doesn't like the barrel being cleaned, takes about another 50 rounds to get the groups sizes back down to reasonable levels.

Never had split cases with any brand.

Mel
    A pat on the back is often just a recce for the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by soberetta View Post
    Having bit the bullet with regards to calibre and then rifle, can any one tell me what factory ammo a Sako Quad heavy barrel in 17hmr will like.

i am only interested in 150 - 200 yard corvid shooting, and don't intend to use on fox or rabbit, hence my decision on a hmr as i don't reload and cf would be too dear on these vermin.

Thanks.
    Hitting crows at 150-200yds with a HMR will be no mean feat and i will take my hat off to you if you regularly do it, as this range is at the max of the HMRs peformance.
    If you are serious about corvid control at that distance trade HMR your for a 17 Ackley Hornet, a 17 Fireball or wait untill the new Hornady 17 Hornet round and rifles hit our shores.

Ian.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    my sako quad, light barrel loves Hornady 17 gr Vmax,

best shot to date was a crow as 256 yards, stone cold dead on the spot, i have moved to a 20 tactical now so its up for sale, nothing wrong woth the rifle at all, but it needs to be used not sat in a cabinet.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube