Guide to Euro Travel HELP!!

Paul at Fechan

I've just realised that either I'm logisctically challenged or travel to Europe with a firearm when you get a last minute chance can be a difficult thing to sort out. There's all the rules and all those airlines that won't carry firearms and ferry transport well I don't get that at all. So here is and idea. Lets figure out a smart guide with tips for travelling to the popular hunting countries in Europe so if someone was thinking about a short notice trip to say poland we could have some info that says what the best options are, friendly airlines, ferry, etc.

So France, well that would be either a tunnel or ferry and drive? But what are the rules and options. If you guys that know the score say about your ecent trips that would be a great help for the challenged ones like me! Maybe, you can start you post with a country as a heading in capitals? Thanks

P

Things to check:

- Guns are on your EFP and the serial numbers are correct
- When booking check with your airline prior to booking that they will accept firearms. Most will but some like Ryan Air won't.
- Each Airline has different rules and regulations, some charge you and excess some don't.
- Most Airlines will require you to inform them at least 72 hours before flying that you are travelling with Firearms.
- Make sure you have a suitable travel box that is airline approved for your guns.
- Pack ammo separately to the gun
- Check the Calibre is legal in the country you are going to.
- Get to the Airport early at least 3 hours before your flight. Most check in staff don't know the process and it can be very painful.
- Make sure you have all your licences and paperwork for the country of your arrival prior to flying.
- On arrival your guns will normally come out of a special area, once you have collected them make sure you declare them at customs.
- Some times things go wrong such as guns coming out with the rest of the baggage. Use your common sense and follow the plan.

I have never travelled by Ferrys but I have been told you should put your hazard lights on which indicates you need special assistance.
Again check with the Ferry company and everything should go smoothly.

i would add ammo and bolt separate and max of 5 kilos of ammo boxed ,make sure in advance they know you are travelling with firearms .i have only been from heathrow and it was very well done we were met at the airport as soon as we stepped inside we were whisked to the front of the que and sorted out in a very proffessional way .i hope it goes that well on other journeys,atb wayne

Using the tunnel is dead easy. Firearm must be in locked case but accessible to check details at customs. Bolt and ammo separate too. Declare that you are carrying a firearm to customs and they will check details on you European firearms pass against the firearm you are carrying and send you on your way. Allow a bit of time coming back to uk from France as British customs are very slow in my experience. The French customs have been very efficient in my experience.

Cheers

Rich

Rich, so for France you book your tunnel ticket and declare the firearm when booking or on the day of travel?

I book a ticket for the tunnel but do not tell anybody that I have rifles/shotguns with me. Shotguns you do not have to declare at all but I do declare the rifles at customs and show them my UK FAC and EFP. Never had any problem yet. Bolts are in the rifles and ammunition in the sleeves.

If you travel in Germany rifles and shotguns must be in a locked case or sleeve but the lock can stay on 0000!

No military calibre rifles or ammunition allowed to enter France.....even for transit! Rules out 30-06 & .308/7.62 & others.

Hull-Zeb' ferry. Declare at passenger arrivals, fill in one form and have F.A.C photocopied or one you prepared earlier. Ammo in box goes to pursers office, sign to collect in morning. Takes as long to type as it takes to do. Then drive through Belgium, Lux, Germany to France and never even notice the boundaries let alone stop anywhere. Piece of cake. Rifles stay in car. No bumps, scratches or nasty attitudes on either side of the water.
Just be aware that customs folk don't joke or laugh. **** them off and you will hear the slap of rubber gloves and be asked to assume the position. Declare everything upfront, be courtious and it is painless.

eggy s has it all covered regards regulations. Here is my list of friendly airlines.

Easyjet £25 per flight. You can take 2 guns if they are in the same case.
B. A. £50 per flight:mad:
Lot Polish Airways. Havnt flown with them for a while but didnt charge.
South African Airways. No Charge:).
If you are flying to Bratislava I think you will find none of the air lines take firearms so you have to fly to Vienna.
Appolagies in advance if any of this has changed since i last traveled.
Tusker.

P&O ferries are great, just have all your paperwork and make sure that they know the score, I always tell them in advance. You get loaded first and give them your car keys for the crossing, you also get off first! If you are flying to the continent, and it is feasible, go from Southampton, very quick service, Heathrow has ALWAYS been a pain in the ass. You know that you will get hassle, over the years on return trips your rifle should be handed to you directly, mine have 1. Been put into secure storage, because no one wanted to handle them. took two hours to sort out!!2.Come through with all the other luggage, twice. ( That really upset the customs ). 3. Twice have come through with to oversize luggage. Obviously with the last two there was NO security at all.

France, belgium, netherlands, luxembourg, germany

No military calibre rifles or ammunition allowed to enter France.....even for transit! Rules out 30-06 & .308/7.62 & others.

Hi,

Sorry but that is not correct deeangeo.

They can only not enter France if you intend to use them in France.

If you are just travelling through then it is fine. I have a good friend that drives through France every 2 weeks with his 308. He had the same worry, he consulted his Dutch solicitor and he confirmed providing you can give proof the firearm is only intended for use out of France then it is no worries you can drive through France with military calibres.

I have travelled with a couple of mates via the tunnel with 308 and a 30-06, we randomly got stopped by French customs along with 4 other cars. The customs officers through a megaphone asked us all to roll down our windows. They then walked along the line of cars, we were second in the queue, the first car he asked "Do you have any, firearms, ammunition or knives in the car" The occupants of the first car replied no.

Then he came to our car and asked "Do you have any, firearms, ammunition or knives in the car". He almost walked straight past our car as he also expected us also to reply no. I said "full house, we have got all three!!!" All they did was look at the EFP I had a 270, one mate had a 308 and the other had a 30-06. We entered France with no delays. All they did was put a sticker on the windscreen with the explosive symbol.

So in my experience unless you intend to use the military calibre rifle in France then it is no problem.

Never flown with firearms, so I cannot comment on that aspect.

Cheers

Ross

Last edited:
Back