SPEER 165gn SPITZER BOAT TAIL

mike243

Hi Guys,
I'm about to start reloading for my .308, currently I'm using 168gn A-Max factory loads, which have done a good job on the few deer ive shot with them but having done some research I'm not convinced that I want to use them in my reloads, although they are a hollow point there appear to be issues with using them for stalking ammo because they were designed as target ammo and allegedly dont perform so well when they hit bone, so I'm now looking at the Speer 165gn Spitzer boat tail soft points, what is the opinion of anyone that has used them, are they any good, they will be used for everything from munty to reds.

thanks

Mike

Mike I used the Speer 165 grain flat based bullets in .30 calibre #2035 and they performed very well on Muntjac and Roe Deer.

There is a thread from back in june. If you search Boat tail it seems that there is no advantage for stalking range. Some people say over short distances they group a little less well than flats. I have recently zeroed some and they group well but again used for stalking ranges no benefit. Save your money.

I agree with 110's sentiments at stalking ranges it is immaterial but if you are new to home loading the boat tail helps when seating the bullet head.

I use 150gn hornady SST in my 308 and it is a boat tail. if it was not it would not matter a jot to me as these are a cheaper, yet as accurate nosler BT.

Psychological i know, but if you can clover leaf on paper it helps in the field.

Two of my guns, a 7x57 and a 30-06, both early 50s FN Mausers, shoot around 1.25" groups using boattail bullets. The flatbased bullets shoot the same. I think that the difference is as much in the bullet, as the difference between BTs and FBs. The BTs are much easier to seat and less affected by wind, al-be-it at distances we'll probably never use. capt david

... Speer 165gn Spitzer boat tail soft points, what is the opinion of anyone that has used them, are they any good, they will be used for everything from munty to reds...
Mike

At 308 velocities they will be fine. The whole flat base -V- boat tail business is irrelevant in my view for a stalking rifle. If your rifle shoots them well, and they are cheap - tear away.

Reference load development, before you go to a pile of bother, take the new 165gr bullet and stick it on top of your existing good load for the 168gr A-max. No gaurantee's, but you might get lucky. This has worked for me more than a few times.

At 308 velocities they will be fine. The whole flat base -V- boat tail business is irrelevant in my view for a stalking rifle. If your rifle shoots them well, and they are cheap - tear away.

Reference load development, before you go to a pile of bother, take the new 165gr bullet and stick it on top of your existing good load for the 168gr A-max. No gaurantee's, but you might get lucky. This has worked for me more than a few times.

Good advice Brian, I interchange 168grn A-Max's and 165grn Sierra GK's in my .30-'06 using the same recipe and both loads shoot fine.

I think a lot of people overcomplicate thier reloading for stalking purposes, my thinking is this: does it fit in the magazine? does it use a powder and bullet that I either have plenty of or can readily get? does it group reasonably?

Glyn

Back