parker hale

bobjs

I have just been asked if im interested in a parker hale 308 black synthetic stock simmons 6/18x40 bipod and t8 mod,price for this lot is just £450.

not sure on the PH i have a RFD mate who says keep well clear,

is there anything in this or is it just him being a bit funny.

bob.

Last edited:
Well he doesn`t sound very funny !

Parker Hale are superb rifles, mostly based on the Mauser action. Good reliable guns,, I have a safari deluxe in 243 and it`s a superb shooting tool.

The only black synthetic stocked P-H I can think of was the M85 sniper rifle which weighs over 12lbs scoped.

Unless it's a badly looked after M85 or your damned lucky and it's a good M85 it's a messed with rifle so the question is how well did they do it?

Did they sort the bedding properly?

Is it the P-H bi-pod? or isit just a Harris or even copy of one?

This needs careful looking at in into before you jump.

Parker Hales are excellent rifles. The barrel last well - I believe they were hammer forged. The stock could be an aftermarket fit. PH rifles are usually cheap but the evidence from Scotarms auction last week is that their prices are on the rise.
I'd offer only £350 to £400 though.

I have two.
neither cost over £100. (one was essentially free once I had sold off the scope!)
dont offer £450 unless mint, they are not selling for that price if well worn or not in original condition.

that aside they are excellent, shoot well and IMO inifinitely better than many "plastic fantastic" modern guns at 10x the price

Thank you Lads.

the rifle looks to have been played with ,with respect to the stock, the action looks ok but then again its a photo and i have not seen it in real life. the bipod is a harris one, but forget this rifle, i m just happy that you all like thuink that the PH is a nice rifle. and as long as its been looked after then it should be ok,

of on the hunt for a 308 again

thanks
lads

bob.

really pleased with mine its a 1100 lightweight. shoots well is comfy and feels like it will last 3 life times. mine was 425 but in near mint condition

Bob, you've seen my PH in .243. Great bit of kit and shoots beautifully.

Does the RFD's name begin with a D by any chance? ;)

£450 does sound a little over the odds, though the T8 is £100 worth, and a harris bipod will be around £50 worth, so that makes the rifle £300, which is reasonable. No idea what the Simmons scope would be worth second hand, so that might make it even cheaper.

Is the rifle nearby?

Edited because I can't add up.

Hi Matt

still have the moderator bit sitting in the rifle tool box when your ready.

the RFD is the posh one down town ;) ;), the rifle i have since found out has been screw cut with no reproof so its not going to be for me,

all im after is a 308 that will be ok to shoot from time to time no need for a big scope etc its just to have a change now and again from the 243, there are a few on the trader but a lot have no photos and i like to see what im having.

bob.

Agreed Brit, had my .243 screw cut without reproof, as I don't consider that it has "significantly reduced the strength of a load bearing part"

And Bob, I thought I was going to make it over for a cuppa, but it's been a bit manic. Won't make it over until early December now, off oop north tomorrow.

Oh for gods sake not this again. That is not required not by law anyway.

I know its not req by law, but if i knew who done it it would not be so bad, after all it could have been done by some Muppet with a hacksaw and ball-bearing and some grinding past.

so for that reason and that reason only, i'm not interested

Agreed Brit, had my .243 screw cut without reproof, as I don't consider that it has "significantly reduced the strength of a load bearing part"

And Bob, I thought I was going to make it over for a cuppa, but it's been a bit manic. Won't make it over until early December now, off oop north tomorrow.

no bother matt.

hope to see you then,

oh ! by the way even if i have had the op done on my neck please come over i may be in need of a bit of rifle talk company mate so don't feel you have to keep away coz the tree huggers at home with me.

bob.

I know its not req by law, but if i knew who done it it would not be so bad, after all it could have been done by some Muppet with a hacksaw and ball-bearing and some grinding past.

so for that reason and that reason only, i'm not interested

A close visual inspection would tell you if that was the case surely. Also some craftsmen out there could probably do a better job with a hacksaw and file than some machinists. I recall that 1st Year apprentices at Monotype had to make a letter T out of plate steel and then cut a T into a plate and they had to fit together with no more that 0.002" clearance and they used files and a straight edge to achieve this.

thats a fare comment i have seen some crowns i would be ashamed to put my name too. but there is also the issue of the lack of coms when asked questions on the following

who done the thread cut and crown

what make is the synthetic stock ,and who fitted it,

has the t8 left any maks on the barrel etc.

when the seller was asked these he has failed to come back with any reply.

makes me think.

leave it well a..........................lone

bob.

Agreed Bob, lack of coms doesn't inspire confidence.

I'll make sure to pop over when we get back from Scottishland!

Brit, I thought the RFD would have to have it reproofed before sale?

Nope as mentioned in another post Jackson Rifles it seems were going to be taken to court over this but it was dropped. I wonder if the case against Jackson Rifles came about because in his other capacity as a professional engineer he wrote the technical report for the Beatham case.

Now one thing to bear in mind here is that even when threaded the muzzle of a bolt action rifle will usually have more "meat" there than say a double rifle and also the muzzle is where the pressure is at it's lowest. As mentioned in the other thread it's more to do with revenue for the proof house than safety. Perhaps the Proof House should get it's own house in order first on safety as if one searches a bit the horror stories of errors and mistakes by them start coming to the surface the more one reads to more one becomes increasingly worried by what is happening is supposedly the safety testing places in the UK.

I used to be aprehensive about Parker Hales until a mate of mine let me try his!!!
Now i own a Parker Hale TX1200 may be a tad heavy for some but damn is accurate and i use mine for stalking too!!!
Heres how she shoots all the time ( if i do my job right )
DSCF3884.jpg

DSCF3856.jpg

DSCF4148.jpg

All the best ,
Ray....................

Back