Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan X Trail

Nissan X Trail

I have the chance to buy a Nissan X Trail for a good price. The guy is off to Australia, so the car has to be sold and is priced to sell. It's a 04 reg with 62,000 on the clock and full service history. He's reknowned for being a bit on the anal side when it comes to his car and consequently it's immaculate inside and out.
    I've heard that X Trails can be prone to turbo failure. Do any of you know if this is a one-off fault, or if the repaired turbos also fail after a while? Is this a really common fault?
    The areas I shoot are well served with graded tracks and the hardest it will be asked to work would probably be traversing a rutty woodland track or crossing a meadow, so I'm happy it will be able to cope with that side of things.
    Is there anything else I need to be aware of?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Ive had an 03 2.2 sve I brought it with 72k on the clock serviced every year. It commutes, school run, shooting bus pigeon,deer and anything else I do has coped great off road. This year spent 2500 on new turbo blew two
    Months ago, new accelerater pedal and sensor and this week fuel pump sensors. It has 152k on it now. The turbo I think seems to go on most as I know three others that have had it go. The fuel pump also seems to b a common problem too. If you want to talk at length pm me ill give you me mobile save me finger getting saw. Would I buy a second one yes as it does everything to a good standard and the seats are super comfy

Turbos are a known weakness (at least until 2007 new model - don't know if that is better); essentially the turbo is not a great design. I bought mine with 59k which had had the turbo replaced months before. There is a alternative turbo design one can fit (article on X-trail forum I saw) which would greatly reduce chance of a repeat, but i suspect you would have to source, etc... as garages wouldn't know about it and it probably some minor mods to fit.

Key thing you can do to look after you turbo is to spool the engine before switching off, particularly after sustained higher speed running. A good example is cruising on the motorway at say 70mph pull into service station and stop immediately at pump - turbo temperature will rise massively whereas if you keep the engine running for a minute or to this temperature spike will be largely avoided.

I think it sounds worth going for from what you have said - most diesel turbos are prone to failure above 100k anyway!

The turbo problem was supposed to have been solved in 2004/5 - later T30 models have a greatly extended warranty just in case and the 2007- T31 model don't have this issue.

I've run an X Trail for the last two years for both commuting and shooting duties without problems. If you buy one with 17" wheels you'll find a very limited choice of all terrain tyres, with Yokohama Geolander GO12 225/60/R17s being the only choice and hard to get hold of. This isn't a problem with 16" wheels.

Ground clearance isn't great but not a problem if you are careful. Vast load space, excellent road manners and my 2.2l diesel returns a comfortable 40mpg in general use. An alternative choice in similar vein is the Mitsubishi Outlander - this is what I'll get next as I like the very clever dropped tailgate design.

Adam.
    Last edited by Adamant; 19-11-2011 at 07:16.

i bought one new in 05, turbo went at 35k intercooler went just after, useless for towing anything more than a small trailer, as duel mass flywheel overheats, fuel consumption not bad fast motorway driving 33mpg, steady 56mph up to 46mpg, averade about 37mpg. overall comfortable, nice to drive, but would not buy another, cheers geoff

I have an 05 xtrail in my garage at the moment, the turbo let go spewing oil into the inlet manifold, the engine ran on it's own oil (un-governed) revved it's tits off with the keys out of the ignition until it got so hot the radiator exploded and the engine locked up.
    Second hand engine 1500
    Re-con turbo 500
    New Radiator 170
    15hrs labour (est) 600
    + oil, antifreeze, ATF etc

Total 2870+vat
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Mine was a '05 too so it seems the turbo problem wasn't really solved in 04/05!

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I have an 05 xtrail in my garage at the moment, the turbo let go spewing oil into the inlet manifold, the engine ran on it's own oil (un-governed) revved it's tits off with the keys out of the ignition until it got so hot the radiator exploded and the engine locked up.
    Second hand engine 1500
    Re-con turbo 500
    New Radiator 170
    15hrs labour (est) 600
    + oil, antifreeze, ATF etc

Total 2870+vat
    if you had got it stationary put in 5th gear and let the clutch go it would have stalled, this happens a lot more than is reported. Diesels are oil burners and if there is a source of oil it will run. On other diesel rigs offshore (not cars) we stall them by killing the air from the inlet side. these are intrinsically safe (no electrics) and it works like a charm.
    n
    I had a pertol x-trail for 4 years, slow as a week in the jail, not very economical, but i ran it till 125,000 miles and then traded it. fuel consumption is not the real cost of ownership, depreciation is.

Buy it, look after it, drive it hard and change the oil regulary you are laffing. problem with most modern diesels is they dont get gunned enough to clean out the carbon and deposits.
    Last edited by 308boy; 19-11-2011 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    If you buy one with 17" wheels you'll find a very limited choice of all terrain tyres, with Yokohama Geolander GO12 225/60/R17s being the only choice and hard to get hold of. This isn't a problem with 16" wheels.
    Did you by any chance manage to find a source of the Geolanders?

I have failed and, basically, given up in my search for an all terrain tyre to fit mine. When you look at the number of them on the road it has got to be worthwhile to make a tyre for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    if you had got it stationary put in 5th gear and let the clutch go it would have stalled,
    It's a customers car, he was very lucky... pulled onto the hard shoulder when he realised something was wrong, turned the key off - engine carried on running so he opened the bonnet. Smoke was coming out of the turbo so he went to un-hitch the caravan in case it caught fire. That's when the top of the radiator blew off.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox