Thread: Mr Red

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Mr Red

Deer Dog Available
    Isnt this place the stalking directory?

72 views and not one comment..where are all you red deer experts that could expand on the antler development on this stags head? I would like to learn from you blokes myself but so far not one comment.
    Is this deer going be a good one? Is he going to branch out to be a 12 pointer? He has five 'ends' on his left side as of now so what more will be realised in growth..come on you stalking directory experts I dont know and thus some input would be well appreciated.

Sorry John, dont know enough about reds to offer an informed comment other than to say that it is good to see a red in reasonably thick cover, as that is (I believe) their natural preference. The stag certainly has a good base there to develop a better than average head, although exactly how good that might be , I will let the experts answer. Good pictures!

Lakey

Well,as far as I am concerned John he is a cracker and I wish I had some round here mate.

Martin

Deer Dog Available
    Thanks Lakey and to you also Martin,I mean what I say in asking as I haven't seen enough of reds in velvet to know where he`s at.

Gryphon
    It's not what you want, but, here's a reply from closer to home
    He's got good rights (brow ,bey, trey),so I would expect him to crown well also.
    I guess his age from his shape & conformation at four (46 months in the photo).
    See his narrow muzzle,his smaller body size (160 kg)the ginger boarder on the rump patch,this screams english.(C.e hippelaphus,park deer.Not C.e scoticus ,the indigenious english deer).
    Just a touch(1/8) of european,maral or wap/elk will change the body, antler & rump to another "type".
    Hard to find pure lines here now as everyone thinks hybrid vigour is a benefit.Unfortunately we need pures to produce predictable hybrids.
    I run several lines of reds including a mob of Warnham's(english),German & commercial (crosses, Eng/Ger/Yugo/elk).
    The English reds do much better here than German,Yugo or elk.Bigger isn't always better.

Great photos,hope you can catch up with him in a few more years.

Cheers sharkey

Deer Dog Available
    OK tar for that sharkey your input is well received.

I have photographed and shot heaps of sambar which are much bigger than reds and with that in mind I actually was surprised as to his body size and thought at the time 'he is a fair lump for a red'
    I had done a lot of work with reds at a mates place many years ago and although I`m not an red antler man I have seen plenty in the paddock to have thought that at the time. (body size)

I have been meaning to mail the pics to Bruce Banwell and ask his opinion also. ( DBB.)
    Last edited by johngryphon; 02-12-2011 at 00:10.

Deer Dog Available
    OK tar for that sharkey your input is well received.

I have photographed and shot heaps of sambar which are much bigger than reds and with that in mind I actually was surprised as to his body size and thought at the time 'he is a fair lump for a red'
    I had done a lot of work with reds at a mates place many years ago and although I`m not an red antler man I have seen plenty in the paddock to have thought that at the time. (body size)

I have been meaning to mail the pics to Bruce Banwell and ask his opinion also. ( DBB.)