Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle storage

Rifle storage

Ok when storing your rifle is it best to store barrel up or down. Most of mine including shotguns are barrel down (length permitting). What's everyone else think?

My shotguns are muzzle down, apparently to prevent oil softening the stock behind the action.

Rifles are the other way up. I don't like the idea of the delicate crown area resting on the squishy stuff in the bottom of tha cabinet, and I don't think the oil argument holds (assuming it does for the guns), as there is likelt to be less oil on a rifle. It has less bore surface and no ribs, for a start.

Or perhaps I just over-oil my guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    Ok when storing your rifle is it best to store barrel up or down. Most of mine including shotguns are barrel down (length permitting). What's everyone else think?
    muzzle down

Shot guns muzzle down as Dalua said "prevents oil softening the stock behind the action." Although I think this would

take considerable time.

Rifles muzzle up to prevent crown damage.

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Like Dalua said I don't like the idea of damaging the crown, barrel up, can't see any benefits to storing a rifle barrel down.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Like Dalua said I don't like the idea of damaging the crown, barrel up, can't see any benefits to storing a rifle barrel down.
    No condensation & corrosion problems to the crown with the muzzle in the down position with a moderator fitted & no crown damage provided the rifle is sufficiently well padded.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    No condensation & corrosion problems to the crown with the muzzle in the down position with a moderator fitted & no crown damage provided the rifle is sufficiently well padded.
    Maybe but if you leave a mod on you run the risk of localised disimilar metal corrosion betweeen the barrel and the moderator which will result in direct damage to the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Maybe but if you leave a mod on you run the risk of localised disimilar metal corrosion betweeen the barrel and the moderator which will result in direct damage to the crown.
    Certainly something to be aware of but not a problem that I have had so far

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    ... with a moderator fitted...

Aside from the storage-with-moderator-on heresy, which I will leave to the Consitory Court to deal with; the idea of my muzzle and crown being stored pressed into some kind of soft stuff at the bottom off tha cabinet just doesn't appeal.
    Much better in my view that it should be pointing upwards with a free criculation of air around it and through the barrel.

I'm another one for rifle up (mod off), and shotgun down. For the same reasons already mentioned.