Rifle storage

Steyer 6.5

Ok when storing your rifle is it best to store barrel up or down. Most of mine including shotguns are barrel down (length permitting). What's everyone else think?

My shotguns are muzzle down, apparently to prevent oil softening the stock behind the action.

Rifles are the other way up. I don't like the idea of the delicate crown area resting on the squishy stuff in the bottom of tha cabinet, and I don't think the oil argument holds (assuming it does for the guns), as there is likelt to be less oil on a rifle. It has less bore surface and no ribs, for a start.

Or perhaps I just over-oil my guns?

Shot guns muzzle down as Dalua said "prevents oil softening the stock behind the action." Although I think this would

take considerable time.

Rifles muzzle up to prevent crown damage.

Atb, Buck.

Like Dalua said I don't like the idea of damaging the crown, barrel up, can't see any benefits to storing a rifle barrel down.

Like Dalua said I don't like the idea of damaging the crown, barrel up, can't see any benefits to storing a rifle barrel down.
No condensation & corrosion problems to the crown with the muzzle in the down position with a moderator fitted & no crown damage provided the rifle is sufficiently well padded.

No condensation & corrosion problems to the crown with the muzzle in the down position with a moderator fitted & no crown damage provided the rifle is sufficiently well padded.

Maybe but if you leave a mod on you run the risk of localised disimilar metal corrosion betweeen the barrel and the moderator which will result in direct damage to the crown.

Maybe but if you leave a mod on you run the risk of localised disimilar metal corrosion betweeen the barrel and the moderator which will result in direct damage to the crown.
Certainly something to be aware of but not a problem that I have had so far

... with a moderator fitted...
:eek::eek:

Aside from the storage-with-moderator-on heresy, which I will leave to the Consitory Court to deal with; the idea of my muzzle and crown being stored pressed into some kind of soft stuff at the bottom off tha cabinet just doesn't appeal.
Much better in my view that it should be pointing upwards with a free criculation of air around it and through the barrel.

I'm another one for rifle up (mod off), and shotgun down. For the same reasons already mentioned.

All muzzle up, i don't think i leave enough oil on any part to wory about it running away?
I remember my gunsmith once told me how a chap brought a rifle for him to look at. The crown was badly damaged by corrosion and also the chamber and bolt face, turned out he rarely cleaned it and left the mod and bolt in place in the cabinet. Not a very old gun either :cuckoo:.

:eek::eek:

Aside from the storage-with-moderator-on heresy, which I will leave to the Consitory Court to deal with; the idea of my muzzle and crown being stored pressed into some kind of soft stuff at the bottom off tha cabinet just doesn't appeal.
Much better in my view that it should be pointing upwards with a free criculation of air around it and through the barrel.
The other thing I find really useful is to keep the guns in gun socks within the cabinet, this helps to prevent all those irritating knocks and scratches that occur when placing or removing guns. I prefer to keep my guns in pristine condition and avoid corrosion hazards arising from poor storage. It is essential to properly clean & dry and if necessary warm the guns before putting them away

I was moving to using gun socks inside the cabinets but had only managed to get a few. I had rifles stored both ways with muzzle up and muzzle down. I moved them every now and then as it helps save the older recoil pads from collapse. Have seen plenty of 60+ year old pads that have collapsed from being left standing on them for decades.

Always barrel up for all of my guns. The various armies of the world have had firearms for hundreds of years and store them barrel up. That's got to be a fair few millions of firearms. The British Army store them that way inc the sniper weapons, apart from the nice large armouries were they are stored at "flat" at 15 degree barrel down.

Interesting discussion, I store my shotguns, barrels down.

just out of curiosity, do you guys line the inside of your cabinets with anything or leave it as bare meal?

my cabinets are lined with carpet and have one of those moisture bags things in..

A pity I deleted the photo of the .223 barrel depicting muzzle threading & crown pitted & rotted..... needless to say I was not the owner who allowed this to happen, took me a full day to get the original moderator off!

Rifles and s/g's barrel up for me. I think it's probably more important to get the gun dry let it air to room temp before cleaning , light oil , wiped off thoroughly, few of us have huge heated gun rooms or wives who are happy to have guns drying about the place so i guess guns often go into cabinets cold and not completely dry either.

Back