Thread: Hi from Alberta Canada

Hi from Alberta Canada

Just found this site want to see what people across the pond do as far as firearms and hunting

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hi Spooksar,

Welcome to SD - I'm planning a trip over your side next September to spend a couple of weeks doing a wilderness hunt with friends from Calgary. We have plenty of beautiful countryside here but very little that would qualify as real wilderness, given that we are a small island with about 30,000,000 to many people living on it!

We hunt all year round here - with six deer species there's always one or two in season, plus no restrictions on vermin species or foxes. For the shotgunners, there are wildfowl and gamebirds. The main differences are that we have no major predator species and bowhunting is illegal.

UK firearms ownership is not nearly as restrictive as our US cousins would have us believe. As a hunter, if you have good reason, you can have what you need within reasonable limits. If you are a target shooter and belong to the appropriate clubs, you can have anything up to .50BMG. Full and semi-auto rifles are illegal other than .22RF semis. Pistols are highly restricted to the general shooting population and only in very limited use for 'humane dispatch'.

I hunt with .22LR, .17HMR, .223R, .270W and .300WM, have just acquired a .458WM for dangerous game overseas and am waiting for the OK on an 8x57 combination rifle for running game in Europe, so it's not too bad here. There is, however, quite a lot of form-filling and waiting involved, so it's not all positive news.

For an overseas visitor, hunting here is fairly cheap and readily available. The excellent thing about sites like SD ismthat there are plenty of decent guys keen to swap superb deer stalking in the UK for stuff like moose and bear on your side.

Cheers,

Adam.

Hi

Welcome to the site , I hunt with 22ppc 6.5x47 308 6.5x284.

Welcome to the Stalking Directory.

Welcome to the site I hope you enjoy it!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Alberta canada,

long time since i was there sking down the whisler. sleeping in the lodge and walking the hills,

i once cycled from Banf to jasper with a army mate 2 bikes and 2 repair kits and a smile, some of the most beutifull sites you could ever wish to set eyes on, and i found a mountain with the same name as me Coleman

thanks to the british tax payer back in the early 80's i cost me nothing to do this for 3 weeks

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Alberta canada,

i once cycled from Banf to jasper with a army mate 2 bikes and 2 repair kits and a smile, some of the most beutifull sites you could ever wish to set eyes on, and i found a mountain with the same name as me Coleman

thanks to the british tax payer back in the early 80's i cost me nothing to do this for 3 weeks

bob.
    Likewise in the late 80's.Welcome to the forum enjoy