Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Mag For Driven Boar??? Opinions

Minimum Mag For Driven Boar??? Opinions

Hi,

I am very soon to be buying a Zeiss Duralyt illuminated.

I met up with Jon from Zeiss on Friday and I was very impressed with the Duralyt. Jon is a top bloke. Cheers mate

There is a 3-12x50 and also a 2-8x42.

This will be mounted on a 308.

What I am wondering is, if you are on a driven boar hunt is 3x magnification too much?

I would also like to use the 308 for deer stalking in the UK.

I already have a S&B 8x56 illuminated on my .270 and I love the fixed power for most aspects of deer stalking. Although this is clearly not suitable for driven boar.

I am trying to decide whether to get the 3-12x50 or the 2-8x42.

I am worried 3 x mag may be too much for driven boar.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Ross

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by r.atkinson View Post
    Hi,

I am very soon to be buying a Zeiss Duralyt illuminated.

I met up with Jon from Zeiss on Friday and I was very impressed with the Duralyt. Jon is a top bloke. Cheers mate

There is a 3-12x50 and also a 2-8x42.

This will be mounted on a 308.

What I am wondering is, if you are on a driven boar hunt is 3x magnification too much?

I would also like to use the 308 for deer stalking in the UK.

I already have a S&B 8x56 illuminated on my .270 and I love the fixed power for most aspects of deer stalking. Although this is clearly not suitable for driven boar.

I am trying to decide whether to get the 3-12x50 or the 2-8x42.

I am worried 3 x mag may be too much for driven boar.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Ross
    1x is good and so is also popular. The 3x setting is the max for running game in some countries. On these bases if I were you I'd go for the 2-8 x 42. Bear in mind also that at a low setting like 1.7x on a 42mm Swarovski Z6, for instance, you would only be using as little as 16mm of the objective lens anyway. So, unless you need the big bell end why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    So, unless you need the big bell end why bother?
    Oooh, no missus!

Ross, I'd agree with the representative of the Frankie Howerd Appreciation Society. I'll defer to the advice regarding a minimum for driven shooting but the max of 8x coupled with the 42mm objective won't disadvantage you much, (if at all), for deer over here. FWIW I've never used anything other than 42mm on mine and I've never been unable to take something that I could still see through the 8x56 bins within the legal hours.
    Last edited by Orion; 20-11-2011 at 17:34.

To pick up a fast moving close range target at 3x could be asking a lot from your scope. At 2x I have both eyes open untill target is in the scope then close my left eye to prevent interference from the difference in perspective. The 1 or 1.4 minimum setting on a number scopes I've tried permits true 'both eyes open' technique.
    Some areas have a great field of view and offer shots that are a fair way off, but, you could also end up with a 30deg field of fire no longer than 30m. That is when you cannot afford a wasted moment getting the scope on the pig.

Ive been using doctor red dot sights for a while now - they are 3.5 MOA dot with no magnification. All but shots over 100 yards; they are great. One of the best optical scope I have used was 1.1 - 4 x 24 flashdot & the Ziess version which give you the best of both.

3 x mag on close running stuff (sub 40 yard) would be pushing it for me but I have seen it done and like most things its down to what you can shoot.

Cheers guys, you have all made my decision easier.

Like Orion has said, 8x is what my binoculars are and do I really need any more.

2x will be better for driven boar.

Decision made 2-8x42 Illuminated it is then.

Cheers

Ross

Ive got the 2-8 x 42. Its a very good scope. There is a slightly better field of view on the 2-8 one than the 3-12 when its set to its lowest power. I just have mine set on 8 all the time for general stalking. The only thing im not too keen on is the push button settings for the illuminated. I prefer the turn nob system, its easier. Just my opinion.

I've got a Zeiss 2-8 on a 375HH, it seem to work on Boar & Deer

Might another option if you have detacheable mounts be a fixed 8x56 for deer use, and then a little straight tube 1-4x24 from Leupold, or even a Doctor Red Dot sight. Both of the latter could be mounted lower and thus probably better for snap shooting. You could also get a different reticle more suited to each.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Might another option if you have detacheable mounts be a fixed 8x56 for deer use, and then a little straight tube 1-4x24 from Leupold, or even a Doctor Red Dot sight. Both of the latter could be mounted lower and thus probably better for snap shooting. You could also get a different reticle more suited to each.
    On the same lines (but slightly different) something I am going to have a go at is to mount two sights (mainly for foxing shots at close ranges of 10 - 35 yards)

45 degree mounting of a reflex sight alongside a higher mag scope - this is tactical but you get the gist?!