Minimum Mag For Driven Boar??? Opinions

270Buck

Hi,

I am very soon to be buying a Zeiss Duralyt illuminated.

I met up with Jon from Zeiss on Friday and I was very impressed with the Duralyt. Jon is a top bloke. Cheers mate :tiphat:

There is a 3-12x50 and also a 2-8x42.

This will be mounted on a 308.

What I am wondering is, if you are on a driven boar hunt is 3x magnification too much?

I would also like to use the 308 for deer stalking in the UK.

I already have a S&B 8x56 illuminated on my .270 and I love the fixed power for most aspects of deer stalking. Although this is clearly not suitable for driven boar.

I am trying to decide whether to get the 3-12x50 or the 2-8x42.

I am worried 3 x mag may be too much for driven boar.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Ross

Hi,

I am very soon to be buying a Zeiss Duralyt illuminated.

I met up with Jon from Zeiss on Friday and I was very impressed with the Duralyt. Jon is a top bloke. Cheers mate :tiphat:

There is a 3-12x50 and also a 2-8x42.

This will be mounted on a 308.

What I am wondering is, if you are on a driven boar hunt is 3x magnification too much?

I would also like to use the 308 for deer stalking in the UK.

I already have a S&B 8x56 illuminated on my .270 and I love the fixed power for most aspects of deer stalking. Although this is clearly not suitable for driven boar.

I am trying to decide whether to get the 3-12x50 or the 2-8x42.

I am worried 3 x mag may be too much for driven boar.

What do you all think?

Cheers

Ross

1x is good and so is also popular. The 3x setting is the max for running game in some countries. On these bases if I were you I'd go for the 2-8 x 42. Bear in mind also that at a low setting like 1.7x on a 42mm Swarovski Z6, for instance, you would only be using as little as 16mm of the objective lens anyway. So, unless you need the big bell end why bother?:D

So, unless you need the big bell end why bother?:D

Oooh, no missus!

Ross, I'd agree with the representative of the Frankie Howerd Appreciation Society. I'll defer to the advice regarding a minimum for driven shooting but the max of 8x coupled with the 42mm objective won't disadvantage you much, (if at all), for deer over here. FWIW I've never used anything other than 42mm on mine and I've never been unable to take something that I could still see through the 8x56 bins within the legal hours.

Last edited:
To pick up a fast moving close range target at 3x could be asking a lot from your scope. At 2x I have both eyes open untill target is in the scope then close my left eye to prevent interference from the difference in perspective. The 1 or 1.4 minimum setting on a number scopes I've tried permits true 'both eyes open' technique.
Some areas have a great field of view and offer shots that are a fair way off, but, you could also end up with a 30deg field of fire no longer than 30m. That is when you cannot afford a wasted moment getting the scope on the pig.

Ive been using doctor red dot sights for a while now - they are 3.5 MOA dot with no magnification. All but shots over 100 yards; they are great. One of the best optical scope I have used was 1.1 - 4 x 24 flashdot & the Ziess version which give you the best of both.

3 x mag on close running stuff (sub 40 yard) would be pushing it for me but I have seen it done and like most things its down to what you can shoot.

Cheers guys, you have all made my decision easier.

Like Orion has said, 8x is what my binoculars are and do I really need any more.

2x will be better for driven boar.

Decision made 2-8x42 Illuminated it is then.

Cheers

Ross

Ive got the 2-8 x 42. Its a very good scope. There is a slightly better field of view on the 2-8 one than the 3-12 when its set to its lowest power. I just have mine set on 8 all the time for general stalking. The only thing im not too keen on is the push button settings for the illuminated. I prefer the turn nob system, its easier. Just my opinion.:)

Might another option if you have detacheable mounts be a fixed 8x56 for deer use, and then a little straight tube 1-4x24 from Leupold, or even a Doctor Red Dot sight. Both of the latter could be mounted lower and thus probably better for snap shooting. You could also get a different reticle more suited to each.

Might another option if you have detacheable mounts be a fixed 8x56 for deer use, and then a little straight tube 1-4x24 from Leupold, or even a Doctor Red Dot sight. Both of the latter could be mounted lower and thus probably better for snap shooting. You could also get a different reticle more suited to each.

On the same lines (but slightly different) something I am going to have a go at is to mount two sights (mainly for foxing shots at close ranges of 10 - 35 yards)

IMAG0489.jpg

45 degree mounting of a reflex sight alongside a higher mag scope - this is tactical but you get the gist?!

I use a 1.25- 4 Leupold VX-R scope set on 1.25 but open sights will work just as well for shooting driven Boar and cost a lot less too!!! when they come with your rifle.

Bob

Basically its generally accepted that 3x is max for safety (field of view) and practicality... 1x is the minimum so if you can get something that does 1-3x you are covered for all eventualities.

Sometimes you find yourself close in, like in a small clearing when 1x is an advantage... other times you can see a way out in front and a bit more magnification helps precision, so why not cover all bases?

I have just come back from Poland and, before we could shoot, had to sign a form listing what was allowed and what wasn't.
One of the things listed as not allowed was the use of any visual/sighting aids with magnification above 3x.
I have been told this over many years in the past and have been checked occasionally by the Forester but up to now have never seen it written down.
This, I have been told, is also law in other European country's for any driven game shoots.
Any higher magnification severely limits your field of view so therefore would not give you time to lift the rifle if a beater walked into your field of view.

I use a 1.25- 4 Leupold VX-R scope set on 1.25 but open sights will work just as well for shooting driven Boar and cost a lot less too!!! when they come with your rifle.

Bob

Ive got one in the post on the way from the states, I quite agree with the cost I managed to get one for less than £300

Ive been looking at aimpoints on e bay, from US.They say they will ship worldwide. I was under the impression that its quite tricky getting anything over from the US that has any kind of red dot associated with it?! what about taxes at this end?

Do yourself a favour, for driven game: 1-4x or 1.5-6x is pretty much ideal - what do you need more than 6x for anyway?

A lot of the Euro countries state that 3 x is the max mag for driven, most Head Foresters recommend 2.5 x. As has been stated I have not heard of anyone being checked but then I have only shot driven in Poland.

Last edited:
A lot of the Euro countries state that 3 x is the max mag for driven, most Head Foresters recommend 2.5 x. As has been stated I have not heard of anyone being checked but then I have only shot driven in Poland.
I have not only been told that 3x is the max allowed by law but have now seen it in writing.
I have also seen the head forester having a crafty look down the line as we have been briefed.

Most European driven shoot's take it for granted that you know the local law's/rule's and your rifle is zeroed and you how to shoot @ a driven shoot if not told other wise!!.
I wounder what would happen if you shot someone/dog etc and your scope was of a higher mag than 3x as to your insurance in those countrys that have 3x as the max scope power?.:doh:

Back